Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2002, 03:48 PM

Default Re: why I won\'t be buying anything from digidesign again

I don't know....the chicks really seem to dig my dongle. I get compliments ALL the time. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Okion:
It seems that Digi is really starting to take heat. People are leaving the format left and right. They really need ot do something about public opinion. And do it fast.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">funny. i was in a studio just yesterday and i'll be there again today. they have four TDM systems. seems i heard them talking about upgrading to HD in july, not "leaving the format". another studio i was working in just last week, in a different state, different city, just upgraded all their systems to HD. i'm starting a new project next week in another studio. they called and asked weather or not they should upgrade to HD before i start. doesn't sound much like digidesign are being deserted to me.

oh, i see! you mean 001 users? and most likely PC 001 users? how silly of me! well, the grass is always greener, isn't it?

~matt
Old 06-13-2002, 04:05 PM

here's a thought - to avoid possible breakage of your new dongle, perhaps you should invest in a short USB extension cable so you can secure it to the side or top of your computer with some duct tape.

and as far as i can tell, anyone who thinks having to use a dongle sucks musn't be used to actually paying for professional software
Old 06-13-2002, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by citi:
I don't know....the chicks really seem to dig my dongle. I get compliments ALL the time. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you stole my line [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 04:40 PM

and as far as i can tell, anyone who thinks having to use a dongle sucks musn't be used to actually paying for professional software

Wow. Strong statement, Mattm. You are correct. I don't pay for software that requires a dongle, but that's because I don't use it.
I own and operate a video and audio production company. We produce broadcast spots for television and radio every day. Some of the software that I use required a dongle in earlier versions, but since then many of these manufactures have realized better ways to protect their interests, with out inconveniencing their customers – which I respect and understand by the way.

If we had to use dongles for every program that we use, we would be dongled to death. No body wants to be dongled to death, do they?? Any how – that’s why I say dongles suck. Not because I don't pay for my software [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sorry if that bugs you. Do you own stock in a dongle making company??
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 05:50 PM

No, I don't think he does. He just likes to jump into the middle of a thread and act like a retard. I think he was abused as a child. Just ignore him and maybe he'll go away.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:02 PM

Perhaps he just likes playing with his dongles...okay, that was uncalled for. Please don't ban me! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 06:07 PM

Yeah, and the USB extension cable thing I had already suggested in the 4th post.
So he is redundant too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 06:10 PM

haha, I actually had that spontaneous rebooting problem... never made the connection that it might be the iLok.

And mattm, as far as not paying for software.. I'm actually fairly used to paying for it... I'm just not quite used to having to pay over double the retail value for an item when I break it.

I'm also not really used to people trashing me for not being able to afford $10,000 to upgrade to a HD system on a Mac. I know... I have some nerve complaining when all I spent was a measly grand.

But yeah.. fair enough to charge me for the hardware itself.. but to charge me fees on top of that?
Old 06-13-2002, 06:22 PM

Hi all I'm new here and from what im seein theres a lot of unhappy campers.Ive been reading the posts here now for about a month so I finally decided to log in and say hello.There is a lot of good advice and I have used a lot of it to set up my Digi, so thanks for all the good pointers.Im not in no big hurry to upgrade myself but I do plan on it when it comes.I had a Digi when they first came out but kinda lost interest and did other things, but i re-purchased another one and am gonna give it another shot.I personally like the digi for the things that it does and it seems to run well on my machine.So keep all the experience and good advice comin guys and thanks again.