Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 AM

Default Is there a midi pad for drum recording?

Hey Guys,
Instead of using my keyboard for doing drum recordings (strike, ez drummer), are there drum pads that hook up through midi to do this instead? being a drummer that would be much more fluid.
If so, what are some good ones for low cost?

appreciate advise!

Digi002 R with Command 8 - PTLE 8.03
Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Is there a midi pad for drum recording?

I do drum tracks with both a Roland TD-10 kit and an M-Audio Trigger Finger sitting on my desk. Both work great with ezdrummer and SD2. The Trigger Finger allows for custom pad assignments so I made a page with 2 pads assigned to snare and each of 3 toms, and that allows me to record rolls and fills that sound real(try doing this with a single finger pad). In any case, any midi pad trigger should be able to work fine(even the Korg Nano at $69). BTW, the Roland TD-10 kit triggers almost everything exactly correct, right out of the box(with ezdrummer and SD2). I did need to search around the midi note assign(on the TD-10) to get an extra pad to trigger a cowbell or cross-stick).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-11-2011, 07:56 AM

There is also the Akai MPD18, which is a pad controller (no sounds built in) like the M-Audio Trigger Finger that Albee mentioned.

Also, the M-Audio Axiom keyboard series combine keyboards with 8 pads built in.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Nice! So i assume any midi electronic drum kit would work as well?

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Some programs are better at working with eKits than others... the best for eKit support are: BFD2, Superior Drummer 2.0 and Addictive Drums 1.5

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

I've been having surprisingly good luck with the Korg NanoPad. For the price, the NanoPad is astonishingly sensitive, and highly configurable. It totally outperforms the pads on the M-Audio Axiom and Novation Nocturn controllers which I find fairly stiff even after a year of use.

One of my partners here in the lab uses a really nice Roland V-Drum setup for serious tracking, but we've both gotten a lot of use from the NanoPad.

Don't be turned off by the diminutive and somewhat toy-like appearance of the NanoPad. For less than $50 USD, these little slabs are a real kick and well worth it. We were originally talking about splashing out for one of the bigger, more expensive pad controllers - no regrets here.

NL
Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

My favorite is the AKAI MPD 24. Each pad has 16 velocity steps, it's pressure sensitive and has 16n unique channels and 4 pad banks for each. I've had it for a year or so and love it. The MPD 32 is a little better (features), and the MPD 18 is cheaper, but it's just the pads.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 AM

Appreciate all the advice here guys! Very cool.
So last night i bought the Nano. Haven't got a chance to use it, but thought it was good price to try out before i spend too much. Make sure i use it enough, then would upgrade if not satisfied with it.
Glad to hear some good feedback on the Korg

again, appreciate all the feedback!

Intel Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q Pro
Win XP
4GB
Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I do drum tracks with both a Roland TD-10 kit and an M-Audio Trigger Finger sitting on my desk. Both work great with ezdrummer and SD2. The Trigger Finger allows for custom pad assignments so I made a page with 2 pads assigned to snare and each of 3 toms, and that allows me to record rolls and fills that sound real(try doing this with a single finger pad). In any case, any midi pad trigger should be able to work fine(even the Korg Nano at $69). BTW, the Roland TD-10 kit triggers almost everything exactly correct, right out of the box(with ezdrummer and SD2). I did need to search around the midi note assign(on the TD-10) to get an extra pad to trigger a cowbell or cross-stick).
Quick question albee, How much did you buy your TD-10 for? Im sick of using the midi editor for making drum tracks from scratch randomizing velocity of notes in a roll to make it sound slightly more human, ect.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 PM

You could consider a midi keyboard controller too. I have the Korg Nanopad but like the Akai LPK25 instead. It can serve double duty - drum trigger and regular midi keyboard.

The drum layout is usually pretty standard on the keyboard. The Kick is C; the snares D & E; toms G, A, B etc.

You could also troll ebay for some of the "toy" type midi triggers. I have the Yamaha DD-55 and occasionally find it useful. It can be had on ebay for well under $100. Check out youtube for videos of people playing these "toys."
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0