Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Working with MIDI - Locking onto Grid

Hey Gang,

If this is not the place to ask this, let me know, but I am a newbie when it comes to MIDI, so I am looking for some general pointers.

I was working with a friend on demo-ing a song the other night. We put on a click track, and he recorded guitar audio while I played a drumbeat with my Axiom 25 (MIDI Track).

Because I am not the greatest drummer (especially on keyboard) we wanted to take the MIDI notes and have them "Lock on" to the grid where they were supposed to be. I started by taking Beat Detective, selecting the MIDI track and it adjusted the Tempo, though I think I should have skipped this step because it wasn't at the tempo we recorded it at.

Anyway, when I try to change the tempo back to the original click track tempo, it moves the MIDI start point, and the song and guitar would be off time (I clicked undo to get it back into time with the guitar).

So, basically, I want to set the song back to the original tempo (115 bpm) without it shifting the MIDI notes (so it still lines up with the guitar) and then I want to have the drum notes lock onto the grid, where the notes 'should' be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am very new to working with MIDI!

R
Old 12-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Working with MIDI - Locking onto Grid

Not on my system right now, but i think it's something like highlight the MIDI track....go to the Events menu, select MIDI, select Quantize.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)