Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Chopped waveforms

I just finished tracking a four-piece band and ran into a problem I could use some help with.

On one of the overhead drum tracks, most of the upper half of the waveform is suppressed. It has too much distortion to be useful as-is. All of the other drum tracks are ok. When I look at the drum overhead waveforms, here's what I see: chopped wave

It doesn't look clipped to me. The above-the-line part of the sound waves just aren’t reaching anything close to full amplitude. For these two tracks I used the same mics, the same cables, and the same preamps.

OK, I should have caught this problem upfront. I'll learn from that. But I'm not absolutely certain there was a problem capturing the inbound signal for this track in the first place. Is there any hope for this track or am I hosed? Any ideas on what could have caused this?

I was using an 002R connected to an iBook G4 (10.4.9 and PTLE 7.1) and a La Cie external hard drive. I've done all of the General Troubleshooting stuff except reinstall. The drummer has the mike and cable so I can't check that easily.