How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2015, 05:32 PM

Default Recording multiple takes with playlist mode

Hello,

I am still somewhat new to Pro Tools. When tracking and recording multiple takes, I have started recording on one track, and using playlists until either the best take is used or the comp is finished and the resulting track is moved to it's own audio track.

My question is this: Every time the take is finished, I find myself having to grab the take from the top "waveform" area of the track and drop it down to the bottom thin sliver area of the playlists to move it into "storage" and create room for a new playlist. Is there any way for Pro Tools to do this automatically?

Basically, I hope it doesn't sound lazy, but I would like to just be able to hit "3" to record the take, then when the take is finished, and just hit "3" again to begin recording right from the same insertion point and have PT automatically drop the take to a new playlist area.

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 PM

one more question!!!

Are the playlists when soloed playing at a lower volume than when they are copied into the main track?

meaning when they are still just being previewed as takes inside the playlists are they at a lower volume then when you hit the up arrow button to copy them into the main playlist?

Is there any way to adjust that?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2015, 08:26 PM

I can tell you are confused and its rubbing off on me. I suggest going to youtube and watching some videos on using playlists in pro tools.

This is how I do it: set my EDIT window track to show playlists(sometimes, if you don't select to show them, when you make new ones, the old ones, which are hidden, are made inactive due to some little PT bug). I name the track LdVox.01(or whatever the source will be, with the ".01" after the name). Now I record a pass on this track/playlist. Once its finished, I select Create New Playlist(it will automatically be named LdVox.02, which helps me keep track of which take is which). After that record pass, I create a new playlist(which gets auto-named LdVox.03, etc). Once I have all the passes I want, I create one more new playlist, and name it LdVox.COMP.

Now I audition each pass in sections by hitting the SOLO button on playlist .01. Play a line>stop>solo next playlist and repeat Once I hear the best, I highlight that clip/area and hit the up arrow to place it on the "COMP" playlist. When I reach the end and have all my COMP audio on the top playlist, I set view to Waveform, which hides all the playlist record passes.

As for volume, since all playlists play THRU the same plugins, the volume should never change(unless you cause it to change somehow, like maybe the singer doesn't stand at the same distance from the mic....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 05-19-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2MIA View Post
Hello,
... I would like to just be able to hit "3" to record the take, then when the take is finished, and just hit "3" again to begin recording right from the same insertion point and have PT automatically drop the take to a new playlist area....
control-\ creates new playlist
control-command-\ duplicates to new playlist

comp to the 'zero' playlist, or to a new 'comp' playlist - RTM about comping/playlist tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2MIA View Post
one more question!!!

Are the playlists when soloed playing at a lower volume than when they are copied into the main track?...
No - same as main playlist

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6