Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Default 11R vs. Marshall Rigs

Finally had a chance to A/B my two favorite studio amps and cabs - 70 Marshall 100 Watt and 69 Marshall 50 Watt using an early 70's Marshall cab with 25 Greenbacks. I pulled up my favorite saved 11R rig settings which I have been using in my home studio. I can honestly say that after about 2 hours of tweaking with different mics and angles on the Marshall cab with each Marshall head, I prefer my 11R when I spend the time to tweak the rigs (which takes me about 3 minutes). Couple that with the ease of use - editing, saving rigs, recording a dry track simultaneously, never a difference with humidity, temperature changes - The Marshalls are now, for studio use anyway - cool ornaments. Not criticizing, but just cannot see how anyone would not endorse the 11R for studio use.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Re: 11R vs. Marshall Rigs

I have to agree

And the added bonus of a more concistent sound from session to session.

You'll have to listen to alot of different Plexies to actually find two that sound the same, as with every other tube amp.
I have had both good and bad ones enter my studio ;-)

I really like my two 11R's, used as studio tools only (in which it shines).
I don't use it live, but have them hooked up permanently in my studio(to my other interfaces).

I will use the opportunity to ask for a STAND ALONE EDITOR, one more time.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM

You took the 2 steps required to get the best out of your gear. 1-you took the time to dig in, and 2-you knew that the factory presets are not the be-all or end-all. I Love good plexi as much as anyone, but great sound comes from knowing and working the knobs until it happens

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 PM

I appreciate the viewpoint! I still can't find a sound quite as good as my 1985 Canadian JCM 800, but Albee's comment sets the possibility. That's how I have gotten with plug ins. Know a few really well and u don't need much else!

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You took the 2 steps required to get the best out of your gear. 1-you took the time to dig in, and 2-you knew that the factory presets are not the be-all or end-all. I Love good plexi as much as anyone, but great sound comes from knowing and working the knobs until it happens
Here is where most people fail (read guitarists ;-)). They don't work their gear enough before jumping to next, as in impatiently seekeing the "best guitar sound ever" (which they never find).
You know those with a "thousand pickups" in their drawer? Who've said, I wish I didn't sell that amp so soon etc.

Know your gear, about their capabilities and limitations before tossing/changing it out. You owe it to your self.

The most important thing is to know that the guitar sound you are looking for, starts in your head (and ends in your fingers).
Given 5 different amps, you instinctively grab those knobs to get the one sound you have in your head. No matter what amp.
When playing with different amps, you got to have an open mind in regards to what to expect.

All that said:
The Eleven Rack is a wonderful piece of studio tool (even if I have a treated room, many amps, cabs and mics at my disposal).
And it's fun to play around with, and a great "learning tool" in regards of how different mics react to different ams/cabs. IF YOU DIG IN

As an example: In one of the included amps, I've never gotten a great sound out of the original before (didn't even like it).
But after digging in into the 11R , I have been able to quickly set up a great sound on the actual amp/cab combo. Now knowing the settings, which mic to start off with etc.
This from using the 11R as said "learning tool". But as albee1952 said, YOU'LL HAVE TO DIG IN.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM

I am glad that some of you agree. For those new to the 11R that are dissatisfied, my process of finding a great combination is to find a preset that sounds within the ballpark of what I need at the moment and then:
1) I immediately click of the preloaded effects: verb, delay, compression, etc.
2) Go to the amp and start tweaking the knobs. DO NOT BE AFRAID to turn up amp volume and turn down guitar volume - a whole range of tones in just doing that. I have found most players never touch their guitars volume or tone knobs.
3) Go to the cabinet and speakers and try the different mic combinations, speaker load, etc.
4) Once I have done that, I have always found a tone I really liked. Occasionally, I will add in a pedal overdrive and the EQ pedal can come in handy as well for some of my needs.
5) Then save them to your computer under something that will jog your memory like "Strat Crunch", "Tele Lead" - whatever works.

I had some guitar pals, whose opinions I hold in high regard, evaluate my last tracks using the 11R. Completely blown away they were.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgroovy View Post
I am glad that some of you agree. For those new to the 11R that are dissatisfied, my process of finding a great combination is to find a preset that sounds within the ballpark of what I need at the moment and then:
1) I immediately click of the preloaded effects: verb, delay, compression, etc.
2) Go to the amp and start tweaking the knobs. DO NOT BE AFRAID to turn up amp volume and turn down guitar volume - a whole range of tones in just doing that. I have found most players never touch their guitars volume or tone knobs.
3) Go to the cabinet and speakers and try the different mic combinations, speaker load, etc.
4) Once I have done that, I have always found a tone I really liked. Occasionally, I will add in a pedal overdrive and the EQ pedal can come in handy as well for some of my needs.
5) Then save them to your computer under something that will jog your memory like "Strat Crunch", "Tele Lead" - whatever works.

I had some guitar pals, whose opinions I hold in high regard, evaluate my last tracks using the 11R. Completely blown away they were.
Absolutely agree ;-)
1) Start with all effects off.
2) Dial in your basic sound. And one of the 11R's strong sides it's they way it responds to the guitar volume. Use it to your advantage.
3) After a while you'll find your favorite cab/mic combo (mine is V30 + SM7). Then try your own combo with every amp. You may be surprised (try an AC30 + V30 + SM7)
4) When I have my basic sound in place, I store it with my favorite effect settings off (dist, mod, dly and rvb). One click away .
5) I usually save 4 of each basic amp/sound, with varying amount of gain and effects. From Cleanish, via rythm and crunch, to Lead.

I have never used a factory setting without editing it (on any amp or modeller I have used). Mostly starting from scratch (gets me more satisfied ;-)).
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM

My favorite comment ever. Guitarist said, "I want to sound like Eric Clapton." I told him truthfully that he then needed to BE Eric Clapton to sound like Eric Clapton.

I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
My favorite comment ever. Guitarist said, "I want to sound like Eric Clapton." I told him truthfully that he then needed to BE Eric Clapton to sound like Eric Clapton.

Amen! There's still no plugin for "hand tone"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave