Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Imported Midi Files...Aux Track...I/O's

Hello All -

This is a two-pronged question.

I have PT 10 and PT 8. I have created my own midi tracks with a keyboard controller, and an AUX track, though I still don't quite understand which track I am hearing in my headphones (midi or aux). This brings me to my question. When I import a midi file, I can't hear it, and I believe that I need to adjust my I/O, inserts, sends, busses...etc. I'm still confused about the signal flow.

On a related note, I have created some tracks using the Instrument track as well. So before I go too far in my production, how will I know that my midi and instrument tracks will be 'bounced' into an audio wav format? I have bounced instrumentals into audio, but not midi. I 'think' I have to record my midi tracks onto an audio track and then bounce, but my main concern is that I can't hear the midi files due to the improper flow set up.

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Imported Midi Files...Aux Track...I/O's

You have a LOT to learn.
When you import a MIDI file the reason you can't hear it is MIDI is not audio - it's a digital signal that contains, amongst other things, note ons and offs, volume messages (cc7), etc. You need to pair each MIDI track up with a sound source. There are a couple of ways to do this in PT. One way to do this is to create a MIDI track for each instrument or music line you want playing. Then you point the MIDI track to an aux track that contains the virtual instrument you want to use. Select a sound on that vi and hit play in the PT transport and you should have sound. A second way to do this is instead of having separate MIDI and aux tracks you use an instrument track in PT. That way one track hosts the MIDI stream and the vi you want to use.

When you want to render the audio output of the vi create an audio track and route the output of either the previous aux track or instrument track to the input of the newly created audio track. Enable the record button on the audio track, hit record in PT's transport and finally hit play on the PT transport and the audio will be rendered. One thing to remember is that PT will not automatically stop at the end of the track - it will keep going forever unless stopped. And there's two ways to do this - you can either manually stop the transport or enter in a stop time in the transport window.

You can't 'bounce into MIDI'.

If you're importing MIDI tracks you found on the net you'll find there's two different types of MIDI tracks. One is type 0 (zero) which has everything on one track and type 1 which has separate tracks for each instrument. See this page: http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/tut_midifiles.php

And as always - reading the users guide (aka manual) for PT is a must as it explains a lot. There's plenty of material out there to help with PT. Books, videos, the DUC

QAPLA!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You have a LOT to learn.
When you import a MIDI file the reason you can't hear it is MIDI is not audio - it's a digital signal that contains, amongst other things, note ons and offs, volume messages (cc7), etc. You need to pair each MIDI track up with a sound source. There are a couple of ways to do this in PT. One way to do this is to create a MIDI track for each instrument or music line you want playing. Then you point the MIDI track to an aux track that contains the virtual instrument you want to use. Select a sound on that vi and hit play in the PT transport and you should have sound. A second way to do this is instead of having separate MIDI and aux tracks you use an instrument track in PT. That way one track hosts the MIDI stream and the vi you want to use.

When you want to render the audio output of the vi create an audio track and route the output of either the previous aux track or instrument track to the input of the newly created audio track. Enable the record button on the audio track, hit record in PT's transport and finally hit play on the PT transport and the audio will be rendered. One thing to remember is that PT will not automatically stop at the end of the track - it will keep going forever unless stopped. And there's two ways to do this - you can either manually stop the transport or enter in a stop time in the transport window.

You can't 'bounce into MIDI'.

If you're importing MIDI tracks you found on the net you'll find there's two different types of MIDI tracks. One is type 0 (zero) which has everything on one track and type 1 which has separate tracks for each instrument. See this page: http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/tut_midifiles.php

And as always - reading the users guide (aka manual) for PT is a must as it explains a lot. There's plenty of material out there to help with PT. Books, videos, the DUC
Thank you so much for your reply musicman691!!

In response to what you have commented on:
Quote:
You have a LOT to learn.
I know!! It's so overwhelming, so I'm taking it bit by bit. :P I have a book that takes me step by step [for PT 8], and I followed it for the midi, but for some reason, I wasn't getting anywhere, so that is why I thought it might be helpful for me to get another explanation from an expert; another pair of eyes (if you will).

I feel that I what I have learned so far (and it's very minimal), is only the tip of the iceberg, and I hope that with each time I use PT, I learn something new, even if it's just one thing. Furthermore, I really don't spend enough time with it, due to lack of quiet time, but I'm hoping to change that soon.

In any event, I know that Midi is not audio (just computer commands) so that instruments and controllers etc., can communicate with each other. You have explained it really well when you wrote:

Quote:
Then you point the MIDI track to an aux track that contains the virtual instrument you want to use. Select a sound on that vi and hit play in the PT transport and you should have sound.
and
Quote:
A second way to do this is instead of having separate MIDI and aux tracks you use an instrument track in PT. That way one track hosts the MIDI stream and the vi you want to use.
Let me see if I've got this. So the aux track is how the sound is channeled, and the midi track is just the 'data' track. Likewise, the Instrumental track can serve as both midi and instrument, and if that [instrumental] track is exported (not bounced) that Instrumental track, I ought to be able to hear it 'as is' with no aux track.

Next chance I get, I'm going to try it again - utilizing your instructions. I'll keep you posted!! Thanks again musicman691
Old 06-14-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cate123 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply musicman691!!

In response to what you have commented on:

I know!! It's so overwhelming, so I'm taking it bit by bit. :P I have a book that takes me step by step [for PT 8], and I followed it for the midi, but for some reason, I wasn't getting anywhere, so that is why I thought it might be helpful for me to get another explanation from an expert; another pair of eyes (if you will).

I feel that I what I have learned so far (and it's very minimal), is only the tip of the iceberg, and I hope that with each time I use PT, I learn something new, even if it's just one thing. Furthermore, I really don't spend enough time with it, due to lack of quiet time, but I'm hoping to change that soon.

In any event, I know that Midi is not audio (just computer commands) so that instruments and controllers etc., can communicate with each other. You have explained it really well when you wrote:

and

Let me see if I've got this. So the aux track is how the sound is channeled, and the midi track is just the 'data' track. Likewise, the Instrumental track can serve as both midi and instrument, and if that [instrumental] track is exported (not bounced) that Instrumental track, I ought to be able to hear it 'as is' with no aux track.

Next chance I get, I'm going to try it again - utilizing your instructions. I'll keep you posted!! Thanks again musicman691
I know it takes a while to get used to the way PT works as it's unlike any other daw out there.

Now for your last paragraph: you're not exporting anything when rendering a MIDI or instrument track to audio. And yes, once that render takes place you'll hear it with no aux track but on it's own audio track. As a matter of fact once the render takes place you can if you used an instrument track hide and make inactive that track so a) you don't see the track in the edit window or mix window and b) it won't take up any more processor power. You don't want to delete the track as you may want to go back and make edits to the MIDI or change the sound.

What I'm telling you is how things are now working on PT 10. You say you have a book for PT8 and you say you have both PT8 and PT10. Which version are you actually working on as I don't think instrument tracks are available in PT8 but are in PT10. I'd suggest getting a book on PT10 - it'll be worth your while to do so. Also, if you like video help check out Groove 3 as they have some excellent videos on different aspects of Pro Tools. Not free but worth the money - it's not expensive by any means.

QAPLA!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM

I purchased PT 8 in June 2010 and then my mom died in July 2010 and that put a stop on learning PT for a while. I’ve had other major life events (kids off to college, neck surgery, moved to another state since 2010), which have also sidetracked my progress, but I think I can safely begin again on learning PT. I had midi files recorded that I want to import and use in PT 10 and I want to keep PT 8 for another user; hence, my post.

I am still unable to get any sound, but there is a signal flow since I can see the green led lights on the midi track and the aux track, so I am assuming the path is incorrect. The path is midi: (In/All) (Out/Expand 2), aux: (In 1-2) (Out 1-2) The volume settings on both tracks are raised to a sufficient level, so I think that’s okay there. I’ll get through this.

By the way, there are instrument tracks in PT 8.

Thanks MusicMan!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cate123 View Post
I purchased PT 8 in June 2010 and then my mom died in July 2010 and that put a stop on learning PT for a while. I’ve had other major life events (kids off to college, neck surgery, moved to another state since 2010), which have also sidetracked my progress, but I think I can safely begin again on learning PT. I had midi files recorded that I want to import and use in PT 10 and I want to keep PT 8 for another user; hence, my post.

I am still unable to get any sound, but there is a signal flow since I can see the green led lights on the midi track and the aux track, so I am assuming the path is incorrect. The path is midi: (In/All) (Out/Expand 2), aux: (In 1-2) (Out 1-2) The volume settings on both tracks are raised to a sufficient level, so I think that’s okay there. I’ll get through this.

By the way, there are instrument tracks in PT 8.

Thanks MusicMan!
Where do you have Expand inserted? If it's on the aux track you don't have to route that anywhere until you go to render the MIDI to audio. You have the MIDI track routed to Expand and if Expand is on the aux track you need to route the output of that aux track to your main outputs, whatever they may be. Only until you want to render the audio from the MIDI track do you need to route the aux track to an audio track. Do that, enable record on the audio track, press the record button on the Transport and then press the Play button. You really need to get an up to date book on PT10 if that's what you're working in. The PT101 book for PT10 is a great place to start. Lots of step-by-step stuff that should be able to help you.

QAPLA!