Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Default PLEASE HELP! PT 8 -- "running out of CPU power" at <15% of CPU usage

Having a continuous problem where PT is crashing w/ the "running out of CPU power" error message, though my CPU usage in the system usage window is quite low (hovering around 10-15%), and the sessions in question are quite small and sparse at the moment. I'm running OSX 10.5.8 on a 2.66GHz Imac w/ 4 GB ram, and my CPU usage limit in the Playback Engine is set to 95%, so this shouldn't be happening, and has never happened before. I'm working with a H/W buffer size of 128 samples -- anything higher renders tracking unfeasible due to latency.

Trashing prefs didn't help. One strange thing is is that there's a single isolated dash way to the right of the rest of the "solid" meter in the CPU meter. It's this dash that erratically spikes to the peak of the meter and causes the crashes.

This problem started occurring within the past week or so, though I haven't updated my PT, my OS, or anything else.

Any ideas? Further work is essentially impossible til I sort this out, so I appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Default Re: PLEASE HELP! PT 8 -- "running out of CPU power" at <15% of CPU usage

What plugins(outside of the stock stuff) do you have installed. On my system, TL Space will cause that little flashing dash and can choke the system. If I delete any TL SPace from the session, it gets much better. Some plugins that need updating or cause problems, can actually wreak havoc just by being installed(and not used in a session). Dragging plugins out of the plugins folder can sometimes reveal which are causing trouble9it takes a lot of patience though).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave