How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Default ADC - Maybe a daft question

Hi

I have used PT LE since V7.1 and am really impressed by PT9, which I bought minutes after it was released. My question is...why would anyone NOT use ADC (it is something you have to turn on which suggests that there are situations where it would be left off)?

Is it to do with processing power, plugs reporting false latency, simple sessions with no delay inducing plugs?

Cheers
Paul
Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Default Re: ADC - Maybe a daft question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrgmusic View Post
plugs reporting false latency
If I had to guess, I think that would be the biggest reason.

I think the first thing I'm gonna do, when and if I get PT9 is run a couple of tests to see if I can trust the ADC even a little bit.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrgmusic View Post
Hi

I have used PT LE since V7.1 and am really impressed by PT9, which I bought minutes after it was released. My question is...why would anyone NOT use ADC (it is something you have to turn on which suggests that there are situations where it would be left off)?

Is it to do with processing power, plugs reporting false latency, simple sessions with no delay inducing plugs?

Cheers
Paul
I doubt ADC will impact processing power at least for RTAS plug-ins since the delay compensation can be done by advancing track playback (the way we do it without ADC). The only difference is the software would do this invisibly to the operator. Obviously, delaying Aux tracks would involve the CPU since you can't "advance" them.

Plug-ins that report false latency can now be fixed within the ADC system by entering a user offset.

Plug-ins that don't induce latency (at least in the RTAS world) wouldn't have any impact with ADC turned on -- same as if it's off.

I can't think of a reason to ever turn ADC off in the RTAS world. ADC does have an impact on DSP usage in the TDM world. (I'm guessing that's why there's a "short" and "long" selection also.) So there might be a need to turn it off if you can't instantiate that last plug-in.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:57 AM

You would want to turn it off if you opened a previous session in which you had already compensated for plugin delay by sliding tracks around or using time adjuster.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTambourines View Post
You would want to turn it off if you opened a previous session in which you had already compensated for plugin delay by sliding tracks around or using time adjuster.
I think someone said it compensates for time adjuster as well.

(?)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKZ View Post
I think someone said it compensates for time adjuster as well.

(?)
The post I read says it does NOT compensate for time adjuster. That's the way it should be or time adjuster won't function as designed.

I'm wondering with the user offset if time adjuster might not be necessary any longer.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Windrem View Post
I'm wondering with the user offset if time adjuster might not be necessary any longer.
I junked all my adjusters in favour of the user offset.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Windrem View Post
The post I read says it does NOT compensate for time adjuster. That's the way it should be or time adjuster won't function as designed.

makes sense. I realized I only looked at time adjuster as an adjusting tool for PLUGIN delay.

I gotta read up on user offset...
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Some interesting points. I hadn't really thought about the existing sessions where tracks may have been nudged ahead to manually compensate. I guess those tracks (as they have been moved physically) would then be compensated out of time.

So, in most normal circumstances (if they actually exist), you should have it on and rejoice that the world just got a bit better for us non-HD bods?

Paul