Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2023, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Waveform Thickness Change Running M1

Just got an update and glad to see Avid is on it.

Current Response:

Entered on: 4/20/2023 11:09 AM Entered by: Carlo

Hi Chris,

I was able to reproduce the issue on our end. I'm writing this up and reporting it to my team. I'll update you once I have some news.

Best Regards,
Carlo
Avid Customer Care
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 04-24-2023, 07:19 AM

Update:

Current Response:

Entered on: 4/24/2023 5:05 AM Entered by: Carlo

Hi Chris,

We've officially logged this issue as a bug. Here's the bug reference number: PT-302804. It's currently in our Engineering's backlog awaiting prioritization.

For now, is it okay if we close the case?

Best Regards,
Carlo
Avid Customer Care

Hopefully this will be a priority.
Support was on it and got back to me pretty quickly.

z
Old 04-26-2023, 02:42 AM

I can also confirm that Waveform thickness is thicker on Apple Silicon native.
It looks fine on my iMac Pro (Intel CPU) but not on Mac Mini M1 (Native).

Hope they fix this in the next update
iMac Pro 3.2 Ghz 8 Core Intel Xeon W • 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4 • Amphion Two15 w/ Amphion Amp500 • UAD Apollo 8 Duo • UAD-2 Satellite Quad • Avid Artist Mix • Kemper Profiling Amp • BSS DPR-402 Stereo Compressor • Pro Tools 2023.12.1 • MacOS 14.3.1
Old 06-08-2023, 01:52 PM

Can confirm that the waveform center line thickness was not fixed in 2023.6. Really bummed. Can't understand how this wasn't addressed as it makes editing dialogue really difficult. any mouth noises and breaths are buried in the waveform making it impossible to see. Guess i stick with Rosetta. I will open up a case again and see what happens.

thx

chris z
Old 06-09-2023, 09:28 AM

For those following this post this is what I just got back from Support:

Response - Hello Chris,

Hope all is well. Thank you for sending the pictures. Regarding this particular bug PT-302804, we cannot promise an ETA on the fix, or any type of fix for that matter. From this point on, we will need to leave it up to Engineering to prioritize it against their backlog. They won't be requiring anything more on our end, so I will be closing this case, while the bug remains under investigation. Thank you for your patience and assistance in reporting this issue. If there are any relevant updates regarding this bug in the future, we will let you know.

If you encounter other issues with Pro Tools that are unrelated to this particular problem, please create a new case via the web portal in your Avid.com account. A Customer Care Representative will follow up with you:

http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation

Best regards,

Bo
Avid Customer Care | Audio Post & Pro

Doesn't look promising. and really frustrating.

chris z
Old 06-09-2023, 09:52 AM

Engineering teams generally cannot promise users anything. It's against corporate software writing standards.

In fact, you got a good response. A reproducible bug now in the backlog means it probably will get fixed eventually.

Like I said, a user will super rarely get a reply to their support issue: "this will be fixed tomorrow while we never even promise our actual release dates"...

So have patience.. looks promising to me. (I work for a software company.. this is a super minor issue in relative terms, I think).

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 06-09-2023, 10:10 AM

Hey nednednerb,

Totally understand, it was just the "or any type of fix for that matter." Claim that stumped me. And not a minor bug if you do dialogue editing and need to move fast. Love the new Markers updates and import mp4 fixes.
Support has been great with getting back to me so like you said, Maybe a little patience is what it will take. thx
z
Old 06-09-2023, 10:36 AM

That "or any type of fix" part is exactly what I'm talking about actually. In the software dev world, such a thing is a secret unless it's publicly announced.

You don't want to make a promise to a random customer as tech support. It's a different role (the marketing side) which would publicly announce features or fixes.

As far as I can tell, the more corporate a software company, the more quiet they are on such "promises" or even what you termed ETA.

Dev teams also run into their own showstoppers that public users might never even hear about.

I definitely don't mean to dismiss your concern. I do think these devs probably have a lot on their plates!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 06-09-2023, 10:51 AM

All great info as i dont know jack about that side of things. And really running rosetta to edit isnt that big of deal. I think it was the "Oh I hoped its fixed in the next version" thing that freaked me out as i installed and found it wasn't fixed. I have made a living on PT since 1997 so I really have nothing to complain about:) Thx again for the info.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:05 PM

This should have been noticed on the first test builds. It’s a clear difference to how the waveform has always been rendered in PT. It seems to me that it’s the center line width, not even the waveform itself?

Of course it’s not a show stopper. It’s when you have a dozen small issues like this that makes updating very undesirable.