How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Default Shutting off Windows 10 Auto Updates

Hey,
I did a post a few days ago I think some of you may get some use out of. System updates in Windows 10 have bit me at a few bad times since I dont have the ability to shut them off like we used to. I go through a workaround step by step to shut them off and update when you want.

Here

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Shutting off Windows 10 Auto Updates

Must do this first thing tomorrow. Thank you!!!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:06 AM

Noticed on the thumbnails, you're connecting via wifi. Mine's hardwired, so I don't seem to have those advanced settings. Or am I missing something?
Old 08-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Found THIS, but you do have to be comfortable with editing your registry:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/meter-you...in-windows-10/
Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM

Interesting catch, did not realize there would be a diffrrence between wireless/wired for that setting. Let me have a look at that or may be able to come up with some sort of script to automate it or another way to do it.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-25-2016, 08:14 AM

ok but the best way to turn off the updates is to do this in addition to turning off the update service. It may still hit you with updates even though you have both. It did that to me but I am using a multiple accounts computer.

What I find really irritating is that Win 10 will put me on the internet connection I use automatically, even though I have deliberately left automatic connection unchecked and often disconnected when I see it has auto connected.

I know it is doing this to do under the scene things to the machine, and can not stop it.

Windows ten disabled the stop during bootup for the win menu which offers for instance my Macrium reflect option, (Macrium is popular disk imaging software that offers a boot option when you set it up) as well as the other options normally seen (blue stop screen during bootup).

A real annoyance, I have to now work to restore this. I don't see any leads on this issue either.

At one point my windows 10 machine got screwed up and wouldn't boot at all after one of their updates, and my Macrium boot option of "fix boot errors" solved the problem and had me booting properly on the next startup.

It can be especially irritating for me on my multi lingual machine, and one time I had to re install english after an update, all from Polish settings menu. Windows had reset everything to Polish.

It is a rrreal problem, and yes it does seem to mess up the ILok Manager from PACE so you have to restart the PACE license manager service after some windows security definitions updates.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 02:30 PM

Which reminds me that I need to go back in and again stop the windows update service before they hit me again with another crippler...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2016, 02:35 PM

Interesting also to note that this evenings struggles, including a restore from an hour or two earlier, did in fact stop the iLok management service again, causing me to use my desktop .bat shortcut to net stop/start the service before pro tools would start

Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM

I have W10 and Macrium Reflect, but only unilingual English. No problem on 3 computers having the Boot Choice screen at Startup.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-25-2016, 03:14 PM

It disappeared for me after I had set it up very carefully. I had that update. Then the troubles booting. After the startup or boot repair inside macrium it disappeared. It may be a Macrium thing. I followed a bad instruction this evening and wound up having to restore. At one point this evening I tried the macrium boot repair and after that the blue menu was gone again.
All works now tho