Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2016, 12:18 PM

Default Can I listen to a track without it running through the master fader

I want to load a reference song into a current project so I can compare its finished mix to the current project I am mixing. My problem is the reference song gets altered by the master fader.

Is there a way to listen to a single track without it running through the master fader? I know I can turn off the master fader output but is there a way to a/b the project with the reference mix.

Thanks.

Last edited by Spikerama; 08-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Can I listen to a track without it running through the master fader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikerama View Post
I want to load a reference song into a current project so I can compare its finished mix to the current project I am mixing. My problem is the reference song gets altered by the master fader.

Is there a way to listen to a single track without it running through the master fader? I know I can turn off the master fader output but is there a way to a/b the project with the reference mix.

Thanks.
There's no need to even have a master fader in a PT session (even though I believe they exist in a session whether they are explicitly shown in said session or not). If you don't show it in say the Edit or Mix window it's like it doesn't exist at all. I never use them. My final 2-bus output is an aux track (before the session gets rendered to audio).

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-15-2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:32 PM

Yes, the master track exists, even if its not shown(of course you would not be able to use inserts on it until you add it to the track). Using a stereo AUX and routing your mix through it is a great option, and adds the advantage of keeping mastering compressors and/or limiters operating on a fadeout. As said, that also covers your desire to listen to a reference track that bypasses the master processing(which you would bypass by not going thru the AUX bus with the plugins).

I have another option that gives me a way to "solo" anything, regardless of pre/post fade routing or sends. I add a pre-fade send to every track(in the last slot) with all sends set to -0 and all muted. A simple Ctrl-click on any send(s) feeds a second output from my rig. I can either switch my speakers to listen to this extra output only(without the main mix), or route it to a second set of speakers so I can "solo" anything in addition to the main mix. Now you're wondering why I would do that? So I can hear a new part being recorded, but hear it louder than "in the mix" as it goes down(so I can hear if anything needs attention like little mouth pops, buzzing, humming, etc). This also allows me to "solo" a reverb return by itself(try doing that without pre-fade sends or solo-safe). Of course this requires some kind of monitor/source switcher(I use a Presonus Central Station)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses.

I did a few "master fader" searches before posting my question and thought "oh no, I'm going to get my mitts patted when I mention master fader." :)

Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:48 PM

OK...I tried it and of course it worked.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:37 AM

Just a little quick insight on the Master Fader vs. Aux track discussion. I see some points from people who may find this useful.

Remember that the inserts on the Master Fader are Post-Fader, where as is every other track in pro tools, they are Pre-Fader.

This means that you can easily use a master fader to ride the input levels going into a compressor or other dynamic processor and that sometimes gets very advantageous results.