Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Scrubbing Audio with the keyboard?

Similar to what the scrubber tool does but using the keyboard on a frame by frame basis?

Is this possible? Like what you can do in video editors, but I want to do this in PT as that's what the finished product will be in.

Cheers to anyone who can help :)
Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Scrubbing Audio with the keyboard?

I'm not sure if you're describing nudging or scrubbing.

At any rate, you can set your nudge value to 1 frame, and use the + and - keys to move the playhead forward and backward by one frame.

You can also change your numpad mode to "Shuttle" (setup->preferences->operation->transport). Have a look at the manual for how they controls are laid out, it's pretty easy once you get used to it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:12 AM

No it's definitely scrubbing. It's like what the scrubber tool does, you know when you drag through with the mouse and hear the audio. Not nudging, the regions, or clips as they are nowadays are staying exactly where they are.

I want to do that but using the keyboard. So I can hear audio every frame of my film. Does that make sense?

Basically, if you go to anything like final cut, media composer or premiere, you can go through each frame and hear the audio for it. I'm recreating the sound track to a short animation and using the original sound track as a reference, noting every sound that occurs and at what timecode.

I just want to do everything in PT rather than have to use a video editor.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:40 AM

Best way I can think of, is to set grid and nudge values to 1 frame, make a selection of 1 frame, and then you can nudge this selection back and forth with +/- on the numpad, and of course initiate playback with spacebar.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyt2k View Post
No it's definitely scrubbing. It's like what the scrubber tool does, you know when you drag through with the mouse and hear the audio.
Then allow me to direct you to the second half of my comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
You can also change your numpad mode to "Shuttle" (setup->preferences->operation->transport). Have a look at the manual for how they controls are laid out, it's pretty easy once you get used to it.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
Best way I can think of, is to set grid and nudge values to 1 frame, make a selection of 1 frame, and then you can nudge this selection back and forth with +/- on the numpad, and of course initiate playback with spacebar.

Probably the closest way I've seen. Still means a constant "hit nudge, press space, hit nudge, press space" etc. The video editors just allow you you hit nudge and it will play that frame and allows you to rock backwards and forward to find specific transient. Useful for pinpointing sounds you cant easily see on a waveform, but can hear quite clearly.

Quote:
Then allow me to direct you to the second half of my comment
I was under the impression shuttle mode just changed the playback speed. I am not playing back larger portions of audio. I just want to hit nudge, hear that frame of audio, hit nudge again, hear the next frame of audio, hit reverse nudge, hear previous frame etc.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I was under the impression shuttle mode just changed the playback speed.
Thats what scrubbing is.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thats what scrubbing is.
its not really scrubbing is it, you are limited to the speed selections and its more difficult to use than scrubbing.

Plus i didnt say I wanted to scrub, I said it's similar to scrubbing, I dont actually want to scrub. I want to hear a frame of audio at a time using say the left and right arrows or plus and minus or whatever.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
its not really scrubbing is it, you are limited to the speed selections and its more difficult to use than scrubbing.

Plus i didnt say I wanted to scrub, I said it's similar to scrubbing, I dont actually want to scrub. I want to hear a frame of audio at a time using say the left and right arrows or plus and minus or whatever.
Ah. Well the difference bettwen shuttle and scrub is that scrub stops when you let go of the wheel. And shuttle adjusts playback speed based on direction. Both are achievable with the numpad.

At any rate, If you prefer to use nudging, go for it. I listed that in my first comment, anyway...
Old 11-01-2013, 02:21 PM

I think just making a small selection and using the [ key to play selection is the closest. If you are real fast. You can use the down arrow to mark your start, press play and immediately press the up arrow. Then press [.

Note that [ and ] play the time line OR selection if edit and timeline aren't linked.

Some mice come with pretty fancy control panels that can transfer some mouse functions to mouse keys. I think the artist control does this stuff but I might be wrong.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.