Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-28-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Mbox-changing buffer size outside protools

Greetings-

I am running pro tools 7x with an original Mbox on a Windows XP platform. I am able to change the buffer setting to reduce pops and clicks when I am working in pro tools. Now, I decided to use the Mbox as a regular sound card. Basically the only need outside of pro audio I need is to play itunes and audio off the internet. I am getting pops and clicks when I try to play itunes. I have tried changing the buffer size in pro tools several times(settings) then restarted, still the glitchy sounds persists. I know you can control this on OSX with CoreAudio settings...but what about PT7 on WinXP? I know the drivers work for the sound is coming out while playing itunes...they issue seems to be samples?

I was up all night trying to figure this out, and help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Mbox-changing buffer size outside protools

Audio glitches, dropouts and "skipping" are common complaints with the Digi wave driver. Changing settings within Pro Tools has no effect on wave driver performance.

Some audio applications allow you to increase the buffer in their Properties settings. This has been reported as helpful to some in the past but the bottom line is, wave driver performance is flawed for some, flawless for others.

Any 3rd party application you can use the ASIO driver with instead of the wave driver, you will definetly see more useability. For instance, Winamp was hit or miss with me using the wave driver, but perfect with ASIO.

Good luck-
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Thanks- How would you specify for the system to use the ASIO driver instead of the wavedriver, is it automatic?

So there is no way to tweak the properties of the mbox though the sound and audio devices settings in control panel?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks- How would you specify for the system to use the ASIO driver instead of the wavedriver, is it automatic?
It's specific to the application but there is usually a place in the app's setup properties (any ASIO campatible app) that allows you to route the program audio.

Quote:
So there is no way to tweak the properties of the mbox though the sound and audio devices settings in control panel?
No.