Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 AM

Default Native Vs HDX and performance tests

Hi

I'm a long time PT8 user on a HD3 TDM system, but I have finally decided it's time to move over to HDX or HD Native.

At the moment my new rig consists of a Omni and I will be adding a 192 to it, but I don't know whether to go with Native and a iMac or for a older PowerMac and HDX.

After speaking to friends everyone seems to think that Native will be fine for what I need with a 8 core mac, but I'm finding it hard to track down any performance tests of Native systems with various MacPros against a HDX system. I really need to work out what Mac I'd need to make Native suitable for my workflow.

Whilst tracking with my HD3 system I record anywhere up to 16 channels at a time (with the new system I hope to increase this to 20 tracks, but most days I wouldn't be tracking anymore than 12 channels at once) when I track I like to use TDM EQ and Comp over some channels too. I'd also need relatively low latency over my AUX's as I do all my headphone mixes in the box.

I mainly mix ITB and I can max out the 192 voices in HD3 when working on bigger mixes, which I generally have to work around. I use a lot of AUX's whilst mixing for grouping various multi mic'ed instruments and also to apply parallel processing. In addition to mixing in the box I'd also need to be able to set up a few hardware inserts for the odd outboard compressor.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any useful performance tests that would be great.

Loud Noises Production Recording Studio
www.loudnoisesproduction.co.uk
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Old 04-07-2015, 08:22 AM

Default Native Vs HDX and performance tests

I'd say don't worry about it. Even a common MBP can take care of what you need to do. Sure, I use my old HD3 on live gigs but back home this new laptop performs just as good, if not better
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Native Vs HDX and performance tests

why are you runing out of Voices? are you sessions that big or are you putting RTAS after TDM and on Aux channels

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-07-2015, 08:47 AM

"older PowerMac and HDX." HDX and PT11 is not going to work on an older Mac. I'm not an expert on voice allocation, but have had experience moving between an HD3 system and my own Native rig. I could easily "hit the wall" on the HD3 rig with less than 64 tracks. My Native rig has yet to see the limit here(100+ audio tracks). I also regularly track bands with 28 inputs(all the mic preamps I have) on HDN, using plenty of plugins (nothing with a lot of latency) and 5 stereo headphone mixes(from AUX sends in the session) at a 64 buffer setting(and no complaints about latency).

My first exposure to HDN was with a MBP i7 quad, HDN card(Magma chassis) and an OMNI. It was set to the 128 buffer and was playing a 5.1 movie soundtrack of over 150 tracks, with video. Pretty impressive

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-07-2015, 09:31 AM

I only use TDM or Rtas on a channel not a combination of the two and I use TDM's across AUX's.

My sessions can get quite big as I tend to mix complete EP's and albums all in one session where I can get away with it.

I think you have both answered my question though and I'm going to save some money going with native. The next decision I need to make is iMac or MacPro, I imagine a MacPro is still the best bet for me as I will more than likely need to swap out drives from time to time.

For the time being I will probably stick with PT 10 but I want to future proof my new setup so I can migrate to 11 at some point or even run 11 on another partition.

Sorry if these are basic questions I'm really out of the loop with the new versions of PT. I've stuck with 8 and HD3 that long it's all I know and when I use other studios I'm never concerned about their system providing they are running tools.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:42 PM

Any new Mac will have Yosemite and that will force you to 11(or 12).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-07-2015, 03:01 PM

Thanks for for the info I will pick up a used Mac then.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 PM

so a Mac Pro 4.1 or 5.1
I think you'll be OK with a HDN rig
if your anywhere where you can go test the rigs first I always recommend that

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-14-2015, 04:36 PM

We have two rooms on 5,1's with Quad 3.2's and 32GB RAM.... HD Native PCIe running HD I/O 16's and 192's (32 in one room, 48 in another)

Couldn't be happier, and this is coming from HD2's and 3's

I generally run every session at 32/96 and I can't believe how stable we are... really.... and I'm able to dub into some pretty heavy sessions and remain stable at low buffers

I generally stay at a 32 buffer, and bump if I need to....
Granted, we are working with music, not crazy feature film stuff, but it is rare to ever need to bump to even 128
At 96, these are some solid low buffers with very little latency

I do notice that we are most stable in sessions with strictly Waves plugs.
I offer this up, because it's important to note that plugs can impact this tremendously...
For instance, adding Altiverbs or Autotunes makes things a bit crazy real quick, whereas sticking to our Waves plugs is solid.
Granted,, there are some intensive Waves plugs too, like Tune, Z-Noise, etc, but as a norm, they keep things chill

I would say if you intend to run Native, I would run a demo with your plugs and see how it handles em, cause some can really load up your system (Our systems are not huge fans of some)

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Hi,

I dont have a native system, but all i can say is that an HDX system with one card completely blows a HD3 accel system in all ways.

-More DSP power.
-WAY more native power (with the same computer, on PT11, never tried 10)
-10 x faster and snappier
- No more DSP shuffling
- More voices ( i never worked about voice usage with my HDX, i was always changing chip allocations whiten TDM, reaching the limit fast when mixing RTAS and TDM)
- Longer delay compensation
-better native / DSP integration.

For me, mys system is super stable, the only times i had crashes, it was with the earliers version of ATune 8 and with some Slate Plugins.

Except these 2, all is rock solid.

Voilà!