How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Here's the noise I'm getting from Sample Tank 3

Hi all,

My last post discussed issues coming from Sample Tank 3 in Protools 11 (Mac 0SX 10.8.5)

I'm happy to report that I have all midi tracks bounced down to separate audio tracks and it's solved the problem for now. Perhaps something in the arrangement I'm working on got corrupted causing a problem for Sample Tank 3? Or...perhaps the culprit comes from one of the patches assigned.

In any case... I actually have audio of the noise I was talking about which occured when when bouncing one of the midi tracks.

Below is the link on soundcloud to the grating sound I was talking about.

Anyone care to tell me what they think this sound points to as an issue?

https://soundcloud.com/lisa-erhard/n...e-tank/s-H7xwg

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Lisa
Old 06-15-2017, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Here's the noise I'm getting from Sample Tank 3

Are you by any chance running sax patches in Sampletank 3? I have an issue where if I try and use alto, tenor & baritone sax at the same time (each one in a separate instance of Sampletank) in a piece I get nasty artifacts on the sound kind of like you're getting. My sample sets are on their own 7200 rpm spinner drive connected via Thunderbolt so throughput isn't the issue. The only way I can cure it is to change out the sounds for two of the instances to anything other than sax, render to audio the remaining MIDI track, go to the next sax track and repeat.

There may be similar issues with other sounds in the Sampletank library.

When I get enough funds I'm going for the Sax Bros. library which is hosted in Kontakt 5.

QAPLA!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM

Hi Jack!

Actually, in a word: No. No saxophones. But I'm using muted guitar, bass, piano, strings and a few others. Hey, maybe it would be better to run a 2nd instance of SampleTank 3 in a case where I have a number of tracks.

I will tell you that I have all of the sample libraries on an external drive because of how large the samples are. But this weirdness I'm experiencing hasn't happened before, and my mind starts imagining "virus" as a culprit.

But the good news is that now that I have all midi tracks recorded as audio I'm free from the issues aforementioned.

Thanks for chiming in!

Lisa
Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Similar experience here. Some ST3 patches gives me nasty artifacts and cpu spikes. In my case it was some of the string patches.

The workaround for me is to freeze or commit when this happens, or better just use another VI.
Personally i stay clear of them.

It's unfortunate since some of the patches sounds very goood. But dealing with VI's and plugins with issues is a workflow and creativity killer. Not good
Old 06-17-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Similar experience here. Some ST3 patches gives me nasty artifacts and cpu spikes. In my case it was some of the string patches.

The workaround for me is to freeze or commit when this happens, or better just use another VI.
Personally i stay clear of them.

It's unfortunate since some of the patches sounds very goood. But dealing with VI's and plugins with issues is a workflow and creativity killer. Not good
It drove me batty and I wasted two freakin' days tracking down the issue. To even be able to get clean audio I had to temporarily change two of the three sounds while I rendered the first, etc.

QAPLA!