Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Default East West PLAY and Mavericks

Yes, I know, it's not supported, I'm building an experimental partition, but strangely, when I try and launch Play from the finder, I get a prompt asking me 'where is Applescript Runner'. So I'm mostly curious if anyone else has Mavericks up and has run Play, if they get the same thing.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:51 AM

Default Re: East West PLAY and Mavericks

I am running Play in Pro Tools right at this very moment - working good, but launching standalone I get the same prompt as you do. What the heck is Applescript Runner? I don't use standalone app at all, just a side annoyance for me though.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 PM

From apple support forums:

Hello, I will answer to karlitofingers. The instruction that mistersquid gave to EastWest problem, is not working. This is a common problem. I will post my how-to, copied from Motunation forum.

========

Tested with MacOS 10.9, Play app. ver. 4.0.23 (and 4.0.18)
PLAY app works perfectly, it is a bit tricky to open it, see the instruction below:

First of all, trying to open Play app in East West folder, which is in Applications folder of the computer gives a weird error: Where is AppleScript Runner?
That led me to an idea that the actual Play.app is somewhere else and in Applications folder resides a script (EWQL Symphonic Orchestra.app in my case).

The actual play app resides here:
/Library/Application Support/East West/Play.app
NB! This is Library folder on the top level of HD, and NOT in your user folder.
You can make an alias of Play app and place it wherever you like to avoid navigating every time you want to open a standalone of PLAY.

PS.
The script that is inside Play app script in Applications folder, contains the following line:
/Applications/East\ West/EWQL\ Symphonic\ Orchestra.app/Contents/MacOS/symphonicorchestra.script ; exit;

Running this line in Terminal.app opens Play.app as standalone also.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Excellent, thanks, I too assumed maybe it wasn't actuality the app but a script. Just seems weird that it uses Applescript apparently.

But thanks for finding it!.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Yes, I know, it's not supported, I'm building an experimental partition, but strangely, when I try and launch Play from the finder, I get a prompt asking me 'where is Applescript Runner'. So I'm mostly curious if anyone else has Mavericks up and has run Play, if they get the same thing.
+1 I had the exact same issue with play as you described. Restore back to Mountain Lion 10.8.4. It was just one of many buggy issue i ran into on Mavericks.