Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 AM

Default RX4 Batch process

Sorry for posting here about a product that is not Avid's. But...
I am cleaning up some dialog and am having a hard time understanding how to create a batch process for the files I want to fix. For example, I need to remove some freezer and equipment hums and on a test file the clean up involved several instances of some frequency specific spectral repair. Maybe five or six steps at different frequencies. Do I have to create a step (in the batch process module) for each instance I hit process?
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 AM

Default Re: RX4 Batch process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
Sorry for posting here about a product that is not Avid's. But...
I am cleaning up some dialog and am having a hard time understanding how to create a batch process for the files I want to fix. For example, I need to remove some freezer and equipment hums and on a test file the clean up involved several instances of some frequency specific spectral repair. Maybe five or six steps at different frequencies. Do I have to create a step (in the batch process module) for each instance I hit process?
Yes you do and it's totally annoying! I've emailed izotope about this very thing.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 AM

Crapolino! Now I think I should get me an assistant!
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 11-23-2014, 12:50 AM

When you do your first clip of audio save the settings for each process as a preset. Then when you open the batch processor, simply recreate each step using the presets you saved working on the test file and away you go.

Or am I missing something?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Thanks Mike. Does RX retain the frequency (Hz) at each preset save or is it just the base process?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
When you do your first clip of audio save the settings for each process as a preset. Then when you open the batch processor, simply recreate each step using the presets you saved working on the test file and away you go.

Or am I missing something?
So, if you are de noising and you use a few different settings, you are saying to save every single setting and go through the process one by one again until it is recreated? Sounds horribly slow and sucky.

I want to work with a clip until it's right, save everything I did as one chain of stuff, and import another audio file into RX and hit process one time to recreate the entire process chain.

One time I was denoising an interview that was 2 hours ling. I used a few different de click settings, a few different de hum settings, a few different de noise settings. I think the chain was 10 processes long. I worked with a 2 minute chuck of it until I got that right. I wanted to save that entire process and then apply that to the whole 2 hour interview. Should have been really easy but there is no way to do that. Izotope really needs to get that going.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-24-2014, 01:00 AM

It is particularly annoying at times, but hopefully iZotope will get onto enhancing the process as well.

I too would like to develop the process and build a batch from all the information that has been recorded in the document history.

batching isn't ideal for some processes though. Noise removal for example. In that case you really need to work on zone by one basis. There are some exceptions, but it can be bit dangerous to leave it up to an automated process.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 AM

Indeed a batch process is not ideal for all things. But as Brandon said when you have treated a section of audio with a mixture of various processes and also the amount of processing and you KNOW you want to do the same thing to x number of files as well, a batch process that mirrors the history would be nice.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 AM

As an update to increase my frustration. I now note that in the spectral repair module a saved preset only contains the saved state of the module and not the spectra frequencies that were selected for processing!!!
iZotope you have some homework to do.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Erik View Post
As an update to increase my frustration. I now note that in the spectral repair module a saved preset only contains the saved state of the module and not the spectra frequencies that were selected for processing!!!
iZotope you have some homework to do.
On the other hand, if it saved the frequencies wouldn't that effectively make each preset the size of the corresponding audio file + process data? I mean, if I understand you it'd be akin to an off-line compressor plugin saving the underlying audio file along with the compressor settings.

I would personally not expect that behavior nor would I want it.