Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
I don't want to spark yet another 64bit debate (unless everyone wants to of course), but, and I've said this a few times here too;
Professional producers and engineers have been "stuck" in the 32bit world of music making for a long time now, and we've all enjoyed some great music as a result.
So I for one don't think the lack of 64bit is too big a deal.
Seriously??? 64bit is killing me with software instruments. I have a 12 Core and it hangs up all day long because I'm still in 64bit. It sounds like you don't even know what 64bit does for us.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pristineb View Post
Seriously??? 64bit is killing me with software instruments. I have a 12 Core and it hangs up all day long because I'm still in 64bit. It sounds like you don't even know what 64bit does for us.
Sounds like what ever happens, you're sol

Wave-T.com
Old 10-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylG View Post
AFAIK HD has no more tracks that I've got. 96 stereo. That's it.

D
So you're always using stereo tracks for all your project? Every track you have is 96 stereo tracks? And you're using bass. violins.. cello.. vocals.. on stereo tracks? cause if you don't then you have more than just 96 stereo tracks to your disposal.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Yes most all sample libraries are in stereo. Load a Violin sample from VSL or LASS, it's in stereo. French horn, stereo, etc. Load Ivory Steinway, stereo. And so forth.

Uses lots of tracks unless you premix (live) all brass to a "brass" stereo track, etc.

TH
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Yes most all sample libraries are in stereo. Load a Violin sample from VSL or LASS, it's in stereo. French horn, stereo, etc. Load Ivory Steinway, stereo. And so forth.

Uses lots of tracks unless you premix (live) all brass to a "brass" stereo track, etc.

TH
The reason the track is stereo is because the plugin is stereo, but the sample it self, unless you use the room mic, is not stereo. If you're not using the room mics for the hall reverb that is often included in those libraries you can simply convert the stereo track to a mono track and then mix the ensemble. That's if you don't actually want the room presence. If you want to keep the original room presence, or you're using an ensemble of strings for example then that's an other story. but if you're using a solo violin, or solo french horn etc, then it's only one instrument that was recorded on it's on, not with any other instruments in the studio.

You'll reduce considerably the number of stereo tracks that you are using this way.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-12-2011, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
The reason the track is stereo is because the plugin is stereo, but the sample it self, unless you use the room mic, is not stereo. If you're not using the room mics for the hall reverb that is often included in those libraries you can simply convert the stereo track to a mono track and then mix the ensemble. That's if you don't actually want the room presence. If you want to keep the original room presence, or you're using an ensemble of strings for example then that's an other story. but if you're using a solo violin, or solo french horn etc, then it's only one instrument that was recorded on it's on, not with any other instruments in the studio.
No, that's not true. All VSL sample are stereo. There is no room mic to ignore. So yes, all my 96 tracks are stereo.

Of course part of the problem is that I actually don't have 96 stereo tracks to work with, because I need to save some for bussing the stems to, so in actual fact it's probably around 88.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card
Old 10-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post

You'll reduce considerably the number of stereo tracks that you are using this way.
This is true only for those libraries that have a close position mic. LASS and VSL don't appear to have such an option. The only ones I know of that do are those from East West which usually have 3 positions for the mics: close, far, hall. Orchestral libs tend to be setup so proper positioning from the conductor's point of view is maintained and that means by definition a stereo track.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
Professional producers and engineers have been "stuck" in the 32bit world of music making for a long time now, and we've all enjoyed some great music as a result.
Yes, but professional producers have never had as many in the box virtual instruments to play with befor either.

And the sampled virtual instruments doesnt seem to get any smaller.
Unless someone starts making professional physical modeling VI's we need 64 bit asap!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is true only for those libraries that have a close position mic. LASS and VSL don't appear to have such an option. The only ones I know of that do are those from East West which usually have 3 positions for the mics: close, far, hall. Orchestral libs tend to be setup so proper positioning from the conductor's point of view is maintained and that means by definition a stereo track.
let me ask you a question then, room reverb aside, when you play the instrument, is there leakage of the instrument on to the other tracks? Example, if you play the tuba or tubas, do you hear it on the violins? (which shouldn't happen at all in a VI ) If no then it's possible to convert your stereo track to mono. You might lose the proper positioning from the conductor, but then again you can gain it back by proper pan positioning.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Yes, but professional producers have never had as many in the box virtual instruments to play with befor either.

And the sampled virtual instruments doesnt seem to get any smaller.
Unless someone starts making professional physical modeling VI's we need 64 bit asap!
+1. Any DAW not being 64 bit is indefensible. It comes down to when Avid will get done.

Music creation technology has come a long way, and pro producers have made the journey too. No need to suggest 64 bit is not needing by pro producers because PT is not 64 bit. It is needed and some pro producers are using Vepro or Reaper Rewire with PT. It will be ideal to do it all in PT without a VI host, but we ain't losing sleep over it.