Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Question on using reference tracks

A lot of you pros here have often spoken of the virtues of using reference tracks of commercial songs in doing your mixes. I certainly understand the reasons for that and have used them myself. But I have wondered about thing with respect to that. Obviously a good reference track not only has a great mix, but is also well mastered. So, as you work on your mix, how do separate what you're hearing in your as yet unmastered mix versus any reference track you're using which is mastered? I mean, I wouldn't expect a raw mix to sound like refined mastered mix. Appreciate any thoughts on that. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Question on using reference tracks

I use refrences as a reality check. Once I have mixed for X amount of time, I might just tweak the same thing over and over again if I don't listen to something else while taking something good from the fridge and sitting down comfortably with my eyes closed. Then, if I'm still fit for mixing, the same-old mix reveals a different side to me.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 AM

I agree with your point that your mix won't sound like a mastered reference track, but you can still get a good feel for separation, levels of reverb on the various instruments and vocals, panning, EQ. Of course things like reverb have changed a lot from the 1960's up to the present (remember the super-dry drums). I also insert a compressor on the mix bus and heavily compress while I am mixing (even though I will bypass it when I am ready to print the track).

I will listen to my mixes on my cheap JPL Pro speakers on my non-ProTools computer, which is where I listen to a lot of my mp3s. If a 1980's Tom Petty track sounds good on those, I try to get my mixes to sound halfway decent on them also. My mixes sound pretty good to me on my main monitors (3-way Alesis Monitor Two), but often don't hold up well when listening on the cheap speakers. But at least that tells me I have more work to do. (Maybe that is where the mastering comes in).

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I will listen to my mixes on my ...
car and iphone. that's what most of your customers are using
Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
My mixes sound pretty good to me on my main monitors, but often don't hold up well when listening on the cheap speakers. But at least that tells me I have more work to do. (Maybe that is where the mastering comes in).
Actually that's where room tuning comes in. Have you tried to listen to your almost-ready mixes on reference level headphones, such as Sennheiser HD 650 or similar?
Old 02-04-2017, 05:10 AM

I use my Sony MDR 7506 Headphones for critical listening. I generally mix at a fairly low volume level to try to minimize the effects of my control room acoustics, which are not ideal.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Appreciate the thoughts shared so far. Helpful.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:14 PM

I think you have to look at it like, "its the best option we have." it is obviously better than doing nothing. I typically have a buss setup that I unmute real quick that has a limiter and such on it to give me a closer idea.

I think one of the biggest mistakes though is taking a reference track that you are not familiar with and trying to match it. IMO, a reference track is one that you know what it sounds like through many different systems and playback devices. If you are not familiar with it, you should probably do that before you start judging your mix to it and not knowing what elements of that reference track that translate well and what does not.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
IMO, a reference track is one that you know what it sounds like through many different systems and playback devices. If you are not familiar with it, you should probably do that before you start judging your mix to it and not knowing what elements of that reference track that translate well and what does not.
Of course :) same goes to your headphones, speakers and room treatment -- you need to burn them in and only after you're comfortable mixing with them (to match the reference) they are ready to see a paying customer.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course :) same goes to your headphones, speakers and room treatment -- you need to burn them in and only after you're comfortable mixing with them (to match the reference) they are ready to see a paying customer.
Absolutely agree with that!