Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Default Reverb?

I love the production on this track especially the drum sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjHBvUFSlBA

I feel as though my mixes are getting quite good now but I need to spend more time with reverb and what type needs to be added to certain instruments etc plate/room/hall

At the beginning of the track when the drums hit they sound really open and full, now is this room mics or reverb. I can never get my drums to sound as live (shall we say) as this track. Any hints on how to get this sound and what type reverb to use on drums etc. Should the Overheads have some, should the room what about the snare.

Thank you in advance you great people

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-18-2017, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Reverb?

Hard to say without knowing how and where they tracked the drums - obviously not where the video was shot. Could be room mics in a real live room. Drum micing is a real art. From what I've seen and read reverb on real physical drums isn't that widely used; more so on vi drums. My favorite reverb for vi drums is some form of a plate reverb. Current fav is Waves Abbey Road Plates with the plates in Eventide's Ultrareverb second - don't laugh as it works for my needs.

QAPLA!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 AM

I think the drums were tracked at Miloco studios London IIRC from following Dan Lancaster on Instagram who produced, mixed and engineered the album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Nice sounding drums I get pretty darn close to that with 2 tricks. Since I don't have a killer room, I fake it with a very short(like 385Ms) room verb(IK Classik Room seems to work very well for me) and the other thing I do is "clean" out my tom tracks with samples of my own toms, but without any leakage. The extra control I get over mixing the kit is a game changer Having a killer kit of course is mandatory(thanks to Michael Turner and Mothertone drums, aka Sleishman)
http://www.mothertone.com/
Every drummer that comes thru here flips over the sound and my kit is in a room not much bigger than the kit!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks Albee for chiming in :) do you put the reverb on all the kit?? When you say 385ms is that the size of the room in the reverb, where do you set you pre delay normally?

Old 02-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Thanks Albee for chiming in :) do you put the reverb on all the kit?? When you say 385ms is that the size of the room in the reverb, where do you set you pre delay normally?
.385 seconds of decay time(room size is whatever the default setting is). Predelay is at 0(but adjust to taste). I send each drum track to it except(usually) no bass drum. I also send all the "shell" tracks to a stereo AUX bus/track with Cytomic's The Glue for bus compression. The last thing I can't live without is the waves JJP Drum plugin on kicks, snare and tom tracks.(I have these plugins inactive for tracking due to latency). There's no doubt that $10k worth of room mics in a beautiful and big tracking room is desirable, but reality makes one creative

An example of my setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdKBcleNLWk
(full disclosure: not my mix, just my raw tracks done with my Mothertone kit. Video used a Yamaha kit for endorsement reasons)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
where do you set you pre delay normally?
just enough to let the bite come through. longer (~35ms) for bass instruments, shorter (~15ms) for percussive material, in the middle (~25ms) for vocals.

(same 25ms seems to be magic number with compressor attack fo many tracks)
Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 AM

Yeah plates do seem a popular choice for drums. My guess is that there is usually enough "room" in this multitude of mics. That's what i find. So adding a little extra in the form of a plate can seem quite idea.

I do have an Abbey Road's plate, but for a less "characteristic" plate I usually like H-Reverb for the part. IK's Classic Plate isnt bad either, plenty of editable options.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I feel as though my mixes are getting quite good now but I need to spend more time with reverb and what type needs to be added to certain instruments etc plate/room/hall
Exactly, you have to spend enough time with reverbs now so you don't have to spend time with them in the future. At some point you will just grab the right one and know what to do exactly. I'm starting to see that happen now when I mix.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM

I’m really experimenting with reverb now as I think this is one of the things letting my tracks down.

What do people use on certain instruments etc and do you use more than one say for example a vocal might get a little plate and a little room or do people use delay more.

What about room mics and overheads of drums do you guys give these room verb or plate, maybe even some delay.

Any info on what you do and what genre of music would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk