Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Dear Avid

I don't have crashes but know many that do, but since 11 something i've had GUI lag on my 2011 mac pro , i heard from avid they were working on it and have a team on it but this was a year ago.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:03 PM

I am on 12.8 now.

I can overdub and edit guitars all day with just Strike (AIR drum machine), a bass in Structure (AIR synth), and some keys (AIR synth), but as soon as I start adding more VIs (All AIR stuff) and tweeking VIs and plugins (all Avid), I start getting AAE - 6101, and AAE - 9173 errors along with a big crash that sometimes happens where I have to reboot the computer.

CPU at 12%, Memory at 30%
H/W Buffer at 1024 (I have tried all buffer settings)

There was never any problems with ProTools 9 when I was doing the same type of sessions.

John Clavin
Old 07-24-2017, 05:12 PM

yep
Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM

+1.

I know there are those here who will spring to Avid's defense and say that people with PT issues are in the minority. I'd say it's the opposite. On the same systems (Avid approved) that PT is unstable on, other DAWs will run similar sessions (same plugins, VIs, track count) without problems. They'll even run the same sessions on far less powerful computers, which PT cannot do.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
With all due respect johnnyv, everyone's rig is different and it's quiet useless stating that your rig/s are stable in this thread. No two people are going to have the same rig so whats your point? The majority of people here are having problems with stability. Audio Engine or Video Engine (Though I would say most have problems with Video). People have their rigs set up the way they are for their own reasons. Mostly because of cash flow.

So to jump on and state your rig is stable is kind of useless and somewhat annoying. Then to question the way people have set their systems up is kind of rude.

The fact of the matter is (And no one can argue with this); is that from Pro Tools 11 onwards it has been unstable and has had midi issues. End of story. And while we like cool new things, most of us just want to crack on and get the job out the door so our clients are happy; and we can get paid.

Being on a perpetual licence and paying money EVERY year with instability is very upsetting.

So thanks and glad your rig/s are so stable; good on you. You can carry on and no need for the forums.
I'm sorry, King, but I very much disagree with much of what you've put forth here.

For instance, you make a blanket statement saying that "The fact of the matter is (And no one can argue with this); is that from PT11 onwards it has been unstable and has had midi issues. End of story...."

Quite frankly, you're just simply wrong. I can argue with your statement because for me, it's simply not true. Sorry. Not true for me.

Now, you can say that for you, your statement is true, but to say that no one can argue with your blanket statement, well...sorry...for me, your statement isn't true.

I'm telling the OP that my rigs run very flawlessly so that he (or you) don't get the impression that everyone is having problems with ProTools. The original poster should be able to hear from others like myself so that together, perhaps we can find out why his rig(s) is not working and mine (or others) are. What are the differences?

You say that paying money every year with instability is upsetting. Yes, I can only imagine. But perhaps Avid is unable to help you due to hardware or software incompatibilities in your system that are beyond their control. Maybe you have a hard drive problem, a RAM problem, a third-party software problem, a computer system problem, some hardware problem, etc etc. How could Avid hope to solve every problem when it is not really their problem?

For every person complaining here, there are probably 99 people whose systems are running flawlessly. Perhaps together we can figure out your particular problem(s). Are you sure that you want everyone whose system is running well to leave the forum and be of no help to you and/or anyone else? Really?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
I'm sorry, King, but I very much disagree with much of what you've put forth here.

For instance, you make a blanket statement saying that "The fact of the matter is (And no one can argue with this); is that from PT11 onwards it has been unstable and has had midi issues. End of story...."

Quite frankly, you're just simply wrong. I can argue with your statement because for me, it's simply not true. Sorry. Not true for me.

Now, you can say that for you, your statement is true, but to say that no one can argue with your blanket statement, well...sorry...for me, your statement isn't true.

I'm telling the OP that my rigs run very flawlessly so that he (or you) don't get the impression that everyone is having problems with ProTools. The original poster should be able to hear from others like myself so that together, perhaps we can find out why his rig(s) is not working and mine (or others) are. What are the differences?

You say that paying money every year with instability is upsetting. Yes, I can only imagine. But perhaps Avid is unable to help you due to hardware or software incompatibilities in your system that are beyond their control. Maybe you have a hard drive problem, a RAM problem, a third-party software problem, a computer system problem, some hardware problem, etc etc. How could Avid hope to solve every problem when it is not really their problem?

For every person complaining here, there are probably 99 people whose systems are running flawlessly. Perhaps together we can figure out your particular problem(s). Are you sure that you want everyone whose system is running well to leave the forum and be of no help to you and/or anyone else? Really?
I guess it is all a matter of perspective and what one is used to or deem as being flawless..

Yes - Midi can be done in PT. And yes VIs can be used in PT.

Now it just comes down to whether the person operating PT finds the flow to be satisfactory. This depends on 1. Taste and Expectance and 2. Experience with other DAWs and Operating Systems in General.

If you come from i.e. Logic Pro - you would most definitely deem PTs Midi and VI implementation as totally flawed. If you are a computer affine person with experience in how fast and performant application CAN work in 2017 - then again PT is flawed. If one has grown up with PT and only used that and is otherwise not so familiar with the power of a 2017 computer, PT seems totally flawless. Because in the end one CAN get the job done with PT. But to ALL those I know personally in real life it is an utter hassle to achieve in PT. And judging by the posts on the DUC in 2017 - I'd say that most onliner's are pretty much agreeing that something is seriously wrong with Protools. Me included. (IU have been on PT since 1999)

It is like the city in which I live today. Hamburg, Germany. It rains most the time and if it aint raining the gray clouds are preventing the sun from doing its thing. Then every once in a while we have an awesome day and all the people who grew up here and never really went out to see the world are proclaiming the weather in Hamburg to be great. Whereas someone who has lived in the state of Cali. might be willing to heavily disagree ;-)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:06 AM

Here's the thing. When you've spent tons of time, and a bunch of money making sure your system meets and exceeds all the necessary hardware requirements for PT (which I have), then it comes down to software. As others have said, these issues don't exist on other DAWs. I don't have these problems with, say, Reason. But I can't use Reason for video.

And as someone said earlier, when you're under deadline and you've set aside a specific block of time to work on the project, and all you end up doing is troubleshooting...that creates major frustration (not to mention the impact on creativity!). For those who have flawless systems, I'm happy for you. But Avid has NEVER said that PT will only run on just this one or two systems. What they HAVE said is if your system meets these specs, then PT should run fine. If PT will only run on 1 kind of Mac rig, and 1 kind of Windows rig, then Avid needs to say "unless you have this exact system, you'll have problems". But they've never said that.

As others have pointed out, these sorts of issues don't happen nearly as often with other DAWs. For ANY software, music or otherwise, if the developer says "your system needs to meet or exceed these specfications to operate this software", then the user has every right to expect that if they ensure their system meets those specs, that the software will operate with minimum problems. It is the developers responsibility to make sure their product works for ANYONE whose system meets or exceeds their specifications. Otherwise, they need to specify the exact make, model, system, brand you MUST have for their software to work. I don't see where Avid has every said that.

So, no, it is not too much to expect the developer to deliver a stable product to anyone whose systems meet or exceed the necessary specifications for the software to operate. I'm not going to chuck PT, because when it all works, it is the best out there, and I've invested way too much time learning how to use it, and I don't want to go through all that with some new software. I just humbly ask that Avid listen to its users and ensure stability with their product for any system that meets or exceeds whatever minimum specifications they determine are required. That's just not too much to ask!

Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM

Hi, i am not here to argue with anyone .. but remember the old sales trick ... "state your piece, then do not say anything else .. the next one to speak loses" ... wink wink ...

respectfully, you have stated the same thing over and over .. even repeating yourself here 2-3 times regarding the same concern .. "Avid should tell us what system will work and which will not" ..

well, they do to a point, than we all go off and Build Custom PC's, Hackintoshes, try to use under powered machines .. etc ..

for those that have never seen these pages ..

1) http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

2) http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

so, they have made an attempt at it .. i still think they should have made a RADAR type All-in-One System .. that is not Computer dependent !!! but i doubt that will ever happen ..

my .02 or .03

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-26-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Here's the thing. When you've spent tons of time, and a bunch of money making sure your system meets and exceeds all the necessary hardware requirements for PT (which I have), then it comes down to software. As others have said, these issues don't exist on other DAWs. I don't have these problems with, say, Reason. But I can't use Reason for video.
I hear ya on all that, Donald, but there's just no chance that we can hold any one software company accountable when they have no control over what other third party hardware and software a user may be using.

Meaning, with all the software you list in your sig file, is Avid supposed to recreate every single user's setup to find problems?

Have you tried starting with a fresh hard drive, installing a brand new Windows operating system, installing ProTools from scratch, hooking up your Focusrite and seeing where you are then? If that works, you've learned something. If not, stop there and figure out why. Perhaps rent a Mac for a day, so the same thing and see where you are. If that works, you've learned something. If not, stop there and figure out why.

My point is that I (and the vast majority of people I know in the professional industries) work day in and day out on ProTools with very few hiccups. How can that be? Well, it's because something is different about my system and yours. Maybe it's the Dell vs the Apple. Maybe it's some third party software that you use that I don't. Or vice versa. Maybe it's some strange version of graphics card. Maybe it's some VI instantiation. But there MUST be a reason why so many people run pretty flawlessly and some others don't. And because so many PT systems working in recording studios and post houses around the world pretty much work day in and day out, I'm not sure that it's because of Avid alone that your system isn't rock solid. You know what I mean? Isn't there some sense in what I'm saying?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
If you come from i.e. Logic Pro - you would most definitely deem PTs Midi and VI implementation as totally flawed.
I think this is generally accepted, and all of us who have been around that long know that Logic started as a MIDI platform (and one of the best on the planet), while ProTools started as an audio platform. It wasn't until later that Logic tried adding audio and ProTools tried adding MIDI. And we know how that's worked out in both cases. Logic still handles MIDI better, and ProTools still handles audio better. Can we agree there?

Expecting PT to ever have Logic's capabilities in MIDI may end up being an unfulfilled dream because of the original coding of the program. (No expert here; just conjecture). Just like Logic's capabilities in audio and/or post and/or video may never rival PT's.