Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Default Does anybody use the soft clip limiter or CURV function on the new HD interface

I just want to know if the CURV or softclip funtion is something that should be used. To me it seems as though it is a good idea in princible but alot of time things like this are more gimmicky than usefull. I havent used it yet so i honestly dont know if it sound anygood. I just want to know if this is something I should use or not. With clip gain is it even neccessary at all.
SCHOOL ME IM NEW
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Does anybody use the soft clip limiter or CURV function on the new HD interface

All I really waNT TO KNOW IS IF THIS IS A FUNCTION WORTH USEING OR NOT
Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Does anybody use the soft clip limiter or CURV function on the new HD interface

I would contend that if you're properly gain staging, you don't need it. It's a myth that you should record as "hot as possible".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 AM

You have to try it yourself to see if it's "gimmicky".
Maybe you could use it in some cases, when recording something that's all over the place level-wise, as an extra safety.
Don't think of Clip Gain as something that would save you if you'd clip your signal.

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 AM

Not using it here. Feels like a "rookie thing" to me... If you are recording @24 bits you can easily record with 12 dB´s headroom without sacrifing any sound quality.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 AM

I use soft clip as a precaution.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 AM

Agree^^^ Its a "just in case" function. If you want some light compression during recording, use a hardware compressor before the interface.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 AM

nah, extra electronics unnecessarily IMO.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
You have to try it yourself to see if it's "gimmicky".
Maybe you could use it in some cases, when recording something that's all over the place level-wise, as an extra safety.
Don't think of Clip Gain as something that would save you if you'd clip your signal.
Are you saying that clip gain will not fix a clipped signal, and that it really just turns it down like a fader in mix. So once it clips theres no fixing it and clip gain just adjusts the volume in which it does.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
Are you saying that clip gain will not fix a clipped signal, and that it really just turns it down like a fader in mix. So once it clips theres no fixing it and clip gain just adjusts the volume in which it does.
This is correct. However, just because the clip light is lit, does not mean the signal is clipped. The indicator shows that you have used up ALL headroom. The signal could be right AT zero, but actually clipped. Then, sometimes adding plugins that increase level(like compressors or EQ with any boost) that would cause the track to clip, but the audio would not be clipped(and using clip gain to lower the audio level would remove that clipping).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave