Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 09-02-2019, 11:36 PM

Default Access Violation Error

Hello,

I recently reinstalled ProTools upon recommendation from support and have been unable to open the program since. Immediately upon bootup, with the iLok with the proper license plugged in, I get this error:

"Access violation occuraed, unable to write location: 0x00000000036A7B50 (I think that's the right number of zeroes; I'm visually impaired and just made myself cross-eyed trying to count them).

Support suggested holding down the N key as I start up, but that had no effect at all. This happens if I run as administrator or not.

I am running version 2018.7.0 on Windows 10.

They also said I should try updating my audio interface's drivers, so I did.

I have a Steinberg UR22 mkII, now with updated drivers and firmware.

I even tried booting it up with the interface turned off, but still the error. When I click "ok" or the X button, it simply closes ProTools. I haven't been able to open the program at all in weeks.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your time,
-Eriias
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ProTools Error.jpg (39.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Access Violation Error

Do you have power savings measures turned off for the USB ports? Windows by default has them set to turn off after an unknown period of time (even on desktops computers). Go to Windows Device Manager and turn all power savings measures off.

Are your computer ports USB 2 or 3? iLoks have known random issues with USB 3 ports. The usual remedy is to have a powered USB 2 hub between the iLok & computer.

QAPLA!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:55 AM

This could be any number of things, so it's going to be a process of elimination to try and find what might be causing it.

You mention booting up PT with the Audio Interface off. Did you try to hold down the N key while doing it this way?

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall PT and make sure all traces of it are gone from your system.

Then maybe try running something like CCleaner to clean your registry and file system.

Reinstall drivers for your audio interface and make sure Windows is not using it as the default audio interface.

Reinstall network drivers and video drivers too.

If still no luck, resetting Windows 10 may be your only hope. Just make sure you backup any critical files you may have.

System Details
Old 09-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
This could be any number of things, so it's going to be a process of elimination to try and find what might be causing it.

You mention booting up PT with the Audio Interface off. Did you try to hold down the N key while doing it this way?

If that doesn't work, I'd uninstall PT and make sure all traces of it are gone from your system.

Then maybe try running something like CCleaner to clean your registry and file system.

Reinstall drivers for your audio interface and make sure Windows is not using it as the default audio interface.

Reinstall network drivers and video drivers too.

If still no luck, resetting Windows 10 may be your only hope. Just make sure you backup any critical files you may have.
Thanks for the ideas, but I'm confused. Why would using the audio interface as the default cause a problem? That is in fact what I'm doing because I usually just run everything through there, otherwise stuff like Sibelius will boot up and try to use ASIO4ALL instead and things get screwed up if it's not the default.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Do you have power savings measures turned off for the USB ports? Windows by default has them set to turn off after an unknown period of time (even on desktops computers). Go to Windows Device Manager and turn all power savings measures off.

Are your computer ports USB 2 or 3? iLoks have known random issues with USB 3 ports. The usual remedy is to have a powered USB 2 hub between the iLok & computer.
Hi! I tried what you said. It didn't seem like an iLok issue since the iLok is being recognized (and the blue light from it was on the whole time) but just to be sure I went into Device Manager and found those settings and turned them all off, but still to no effect. :/
Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
Thanks for the ideas, but I'm confused. Why would using the audio interface as the default cause a problem? That is in fact what I'm doing because I usually just run everything through there, otherwise stuff like Sibelius will boot up and try to use ASIO4ALL instead and things get screwed up if it's not the default.
We are just trying to rule things out here, so if the drivers for the UR22 do not have to share with Windows trying to play sounds, then it is one more thing out of the equation. If it makes no difference, then feel free to use the UR22 as your default Windows sound device.

System Details
Old 09-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Fair enough!

The reinstall with CCleaner did the trick. I don't know what the trick was, but now it opens and runs like it should. Thanks for all your help, folks! :)

Best,
-Eriias
Old 09-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriias View Post
Fair enough!

The reinstall with CCleaner did the trick. I don't know what the trick was, but now it opens and runs like it should. Thanks for all your help, folks! :)

Best,
-Eriias
Glad to hear you are back up and running.

System Details