Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Default Support ? OMNI Hardware insert ADC question

Either I am misunderstanding something Or PTHD native is auto compensating for a hardware insert with no entry in the Hardware Insert delay Tab ?

Here is the situation
I am using the OMNI w/ PT HD9 native.

In the I/O for the sessions there is a tab for hardware insert delay and a table where ms's delay can be entered. I have not yet entered a value.
I am using a Bricasti M7 outboard reverb unit in my chain.
I have it connected digital via AES I have it as an insert on channels 4/5 for the OMNI

The question has to with - Is the ADC is already compensating for the Hardware insert (which seem to be the case in the #2 screenshot). If so then it would seem unnecessary to also enter a ms number in the hardware insert delay tab of the I/O is this correct?

Example and screen shots
I have the Delay Compensation displayed at the bottom of the mix window and it is showing in screen shot #1 ( with no hardware inserted )-

On the tracks with the Digi Expander Gate for example - it shows 88 samples and they are in the amber color. The rest of tracks are in the green color and showing either 88 sample of compensation, or 0 for the aux tracks...
The session (set up box) is showing 95 samples of (system delay) so I am assuming that means 7 samples of internal, inherent delay Omni/software etc. or (95 minus 88 = 7)

Now in screen shot #2 ( with the M7 inserted - 4th track from the right)
the display shows the track with the M7 has 533 (in amber) the rest of the tracks are green some tracks show 88, some show 533 and some show 621 ( 533 + 88 = 621 ) and the session set up box shows System delay at 628 or (621+7 = 628)

So I am missing something because I would have thought this would mean that the system inherent delay ( before plugins etc.) is 7 samples and that that PT is showing the M7 as 533 sample delay ? And that the session w/ the hareware insert is compensating with 533 samples do to the M7

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-06-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Double post please delete
Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Support ? OMNI Hardware insert ADC question

P.S. I posted this in the TDM forum but realized it belong here

I got this Reply but still dont have an answer as for why the 533 samples in the #2 screenshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlone View Post
Pro Tools has no way of knowing what you have connected as an insert so it's not compensating for it.

To determine the amount of delay you'd need to send a signal out of an output and patch that output back into an input and record it.
Then send the same signal out but this time through your external unit (your reverb).

Compare the 2 and whatever the difference is between the start times is the amount of delay.

OK thanks for tip on sending a signal. I assume then that you set your time meter to minutes and then can read out the ms .

"Pro Tools has no way of knowing what you have connected as an insert so it's not compensating for it."

Yes That's exactly what I thought and was told on another forum And it sounds quite logical and reasonable. Unfortunately that does not explain why 533 samples shows up on the track with the insert and in system delay, while not being present in the session with the insert removed. ? Thus my question as to, if PT is not compensating, then why is the session delayed 533 samples longer when connected to the hardware insert, than it is when not connected ? this is Particularly curious because I have not yet entered any value in the hardware insert delay table.
Mobile - 2021 14 " MBP M1 Pro PT Ultimate 2023.12.1 Sonoma 14.4

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 AM

Anybody have an answer ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Anybody have an answer ?
yes,

Delay introduced with hardware insert is caused by the software buffer. If you change buffer size in Playback Engine you will see this value changed. BTW, what buffer size did you use?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM

The setting in the I/O setup has to do with additional delay not directly associated with Pro Tools. When you insert the hardware insert, Pro Tools automatically compensates for the buffer and related routing delay. If the Bricasti also has any hardware delay, you can compensate for it with the setting in the I/O setup.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control