How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2019, 03:29 PM

Default BUG - using N key for PB engine select with HDX cards installed

Hello,
There's a bug in the programming for using the N key to select the PT playback engine on startup. If you have HDX cards installed and no audio interface attached the following occurs -
- Using the N key has no effect, PT always boots to the HDX engine.
- Having no audio interfaces attached naturally PT doesn't come up, as expected.
- There's no way to select another audio interface with the HDX cards present.

Seems odd, I thought the N key method was the first thing PT looked for, apparently not. If the HDX cards are present they override the N key option.
Odd.
You may ask why anyone would do that. That's a separate question, suffice to say if there's an issue and you need to use something else, pulling the HDX cards is inconvenient.
Did I mention ODD?

Hugh
Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM

Default Re: BUG - using N key for PB engine select with HDX cards installed

What other interface are you trying to use? Its not possible to give too much info

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
There's no way to select another audio interface with the HDX cards present.

Like ever?

I agree with Dave there isn’t enough info here to make a judgement as to how best to resolve the issue.

OS versión
other interfaces
What exactly you are trying to do
PT Version
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Hello,
There's a bug in the programming for using the N key to select the PT playback engine on startup. If you have HDX cards installed and no audio interface attached the following occurs -
- Using the N key has no effect, PT always boots to the HDX engine.
- Having no audio interfaces attached naturally PT doesn't come up, as expected.
- There's no way to select another audio interface with the HDX cards present.

Seems odd, I thought the N key method was the first thing PT looked for, apparently not. If the HDX cards are present they override the N key option.
Odd.
You may ask why anyone would do that. That's a separate question, suffice to say if there's an issue and you need to use something else, pulling the HDX cards is inconvenient.
Did I mention ODD?

Hugh

Like the others said, need more info, but FWIW, 'N' key behaves as expected here (and on any other rig I've been on recently); I can always choose alternate interfaces by booting with it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 AM

Hello,
Thanks for the responses, here is some more information.
- MP 5.1 / OS10.12.6
- PTHD(ultimate,greatest,etc.) 18.3
- HDX2, and normally SyncHD + 2x HDMadi attached
- System works correctly with everything attached.
- Alternate testing interface - PT Aggregate, RME UFX+, built-in, any, doesn't matter in this case.

Repro -
- Unplug the Digilink audio interfaces, in this case the two HDMadi and SyncHD units.
- Plug in any supported CoreAudio interface or use the built-in.
- Launch PT using N key.
- Usually N key works if pressed immediately. Test launching it with whatever timing you can. Immediately, incrementing 0.5 seconds after launching, at splash screen, etc.
- Result is always the same - PT sees the HDX cards in the system, ignores the N key, and comes up with the message similar to "... no audio interfaces connected..." and as expected will not launch.

The reason I care is if there's an "oddity" in a cpu/system I'd like to pull it, swap in another cpu immediately to continue work, bring the suspect one to the lab and test it. Many instances of testing, setup, and maintenance can be completed with any generic audio interface. In this case I needed to test some surround bussing and weirdness and an RME interface works well for that due to TotalMix's I/O meters, but again the audio interface in this issue doesn't matter.

Having to pull the HDX cards from the chassis is not timely, especially in a number of our Sonnet chassis systems that require some work to accomplish that.

Thanks again for any information you may have,
Sincerely,
Hugh
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for the responses, here is some more information.
- MP 5.1 / OS10.12.6
- PTHD(ultimate,greatest,etc.) 18.3
- HDX2, and normally SyncHD + 2x HDMadi attached
- System works correctly with everything attached.
- Alternate testing interface - PT Aggregate, RME UFX+, built-in, any, doesn't matter in this case.

Repro -
- Unplug the Digilink audio interfaces, in this case the two HDMadi and SyncHD units.
- Plug in any supported CoreAudio interface or use the built-in.
- Launch PT using N key.
- Usually N key works if pressed immediately. Test launching it with whatever timing you can. Immediately, incrementing 0.5 seconds after launching, at splash screen, etc.
- Result is always the same - PT sees the HDX cards in the system, ignores the N key, and comes up with the message similar to "... no audio interfaces connected..." and as expected will not launch.

The reason I care is if there's an "oddity" in a cpu/system I'd like to pull it, swap in another cpu immediately to continue work, bring the suspect one to the lab and test it. Many instances of testing, setup, and maintenance can be completed with any generic audio interface. In this case I needed to test some surround bussing and weirdness and an RME interface works well for that due to TotalMix's I/O meters, but again the audio interface in this issue doesn't matter.

Having to pull the HDX cards from the chassis is not timely, especially in a number of our Sonnet chassis systems that require some work to accomplish that.

Thanks again for any information you may have,
Sincerely,
Hugh
You need to hold down the 'n' key BEFORE you launch PT. Any other way won't work right. You appear to be doing it wrong.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You need to hold down the 'n' key BEFORE you launch PT. Any other way won't work right. You appear to be doing it wrong.
Yes the:
Quote:
Usually N key works if pressed immediately. Test launching it with whatever timing you can. Immediately, incrementing 0.5 seconds after launching, at splash screen, etc.
is likely the problem

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Hello,
I think I tried that but not sure, I won't see the systems for another week or more but will test at that point.
Thanks,
Hugh