Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  ē  Community Terms of Use  ē  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  ē  Community Search  ē  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-09-2002, 07:56 AM

Default Recording Midi and Audio in sync

As Iíve experienced before Iím probably overlooking something very simple so I apologize up front. It is something Iím not seeing in any of the DUC though.

1) I want to use my drum machine connected to the 001 and monitored thru the 001 as a click and want to record a 4 bar guitar part.
2) Then I want to merge midi record a drum part that goes with the guitar part
Iím in low latency monitoring and in auto input monitoring
Buffer Size 128 samples
BPM 145
1 bar count off
I record the guitar part and play it back
When itís in record mode with auto input monitor the guitar part is in time with the click.
As soon as I take it out of record to go back and record the midi drum part the guitar part is late by 1011 samples
This led me to Global midi playback offset, which isnít helping. (Iíve tried many settings from
Ė10000 samples to + 10000 samples with no luck)
The guitar part is still late.

I appreciate any help. Thanks, Billy
Old 10-09-2002, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Recording Midi and Audio in sync

have you tried decreasing the buffer size of DAE. Go to setups > DAE Buffer size (I think, it's definitely in setups) > and hit the help button in the pop-up window. It'll tell you what all the settings do.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:47 AM

Tried smallest Dae Buffer size to no avail, Thanks

G
Quote:
Originally posted by cdrecords:
As Iíve experienced before Iím probably overlooking something very simple so I apologize up front. It is something Iím not seeing in any of the DUC though.

1) I want to use my drum machine connected to the 001 and monitored thru the 001 as a click and want to record a 4 bar guitar part.
2) Then I want to merge midi record a drum part that goes with the guitar part
Iím in low latency monitoring and in auto input monitoring
Buffer Size 128 samples
BPM 145
1 bar count off
I record the guitar part and play it back
When itís in record mode with auto input monitor the guitar part is in time with the click.
As soon as I take it out of record to go back and record the midi drum part the guitar part is late by 1011 samples
This led me to Global midi playback offset, which isnít helping. (Iíve tried many settings from

I appreciate any help. Thanks, Billy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 10-09-2002, 09:34 AM

try this: set your tempo map using the conductor (if you have tempo changes in the song) and record your click to an audio track. then highlight the waveform and hit Ctrl+U to bring up strip silence. set strip silence to -48, 0, 0, 0 and strip. then close strip silence and triple click on the track to select all waveform data on the track. then go to edit > quantize regions and you have yourself a click track that will always be in time.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:13 PM

I've realized that the compressor and EQ plug ins were the cuplrit. Once I pulled them everything was hunky Dory.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cdrecords:
the guitar part is late by 1011 samples
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Billy,
I don't have time to be exact here, but I think you should be able to achieve a sync with the Midi Offset. (I see you've tried it). I would try it, but with much a much smaller gap size. All my sessions have always only been between -800 and -2600.....somewhere in there, I've always been able to sync up perfectly.
A few of us here on the DUC are trying to pinpoint a formula for this (and it's my fault that it's on hold), but in the meantime, I would try starting a very low Midi offset, and raising(actually lowering) it by increments of -100, as in -100,-200, etc. until it syncs up.

I could well be wrong, and the problem lie elsewhere, but I would try that for now....

~Roy