Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM

Default To Commit or not to Commit, that is the question.

Howdy everyone, first time post'er long time follower. A recent graduate to a HD9 Operator Certification and I will be updating to a HD10 Certificate next month, hold your applause's please.

Unlike most, it seems, I don't seem to have many problems with starting, running, or using PT10. I've ran 8, 9, and 10, no issues. But, I'm just a software user getting through school so I'm knocking on wood because that might change once my investments get bigger. I'm also very happy to say I'm committed to Pro Tools as my main DAW Software and will be using it for quite a long time. I do use other music creation software, Pro Tools just being my go to. I find it simple in use and does far exceed my expectations and the hopeful expectations of future clients.

Also, Generally I do not have internal turmoil about updating hardware constantly or getting the latest and greatest regarding frequently updated software. I do what I can with what I got as the greats before me did with less than I have now. With that said I must also say I "need" to first have a professional grade setup to do what I can with. In comes the C/24 and my apparent drooling. I know I know, Hypocrisy you scream!!

Here in lies my question..... Finally, right?

1. Do I commit to 10? Do I walk down that aisle and say I do? Possibly becoming a Certified Expert and being content beginning a long happy life with a version I've learned to love. 11 can mean nothing to me. I can hang calenders of 11 in my garage and smile at it and think "what if" only then to remember my beautiful 10 and smile. Do I commit to that hardware that seals the deal? A shiny 1.5 ct C/24 with all the knobs, faders, and buttons that fit my fingers so perfectly, just so. Do I?

Do I? Do I commit to my love 10 or do I wait for 11? Who knows, 11 may be the Brazilian goddess that has everything 10 does plus it'll have the whole Brazilian goddess thing going on too.....

Oh in the words of Mick Jones, "Should I Stay or Should I go".

I know I know I know, HYPOCRISY!!!! I can't help it...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM

Default Re: To Commit or not to Commit, that is the question.

What's the question?

C|24 is current and will be supported by next version of Protools?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 AM

I know it'll work for 10 now. But 11? If I purchase a C/24 and it's not compatible with 11 then I will be at 10 for quite awhile....
Old 12-19-2011, 07:56 AM

There's been no reply (that I am aware of) officially if C24 will be supported or not in PT11.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311125

That's quite a relevant question.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM

But they announced what wouldn't be supported, if it's not on the list then it will be OK.

Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
  • 192 I/O, 192 Digital I/O, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, SYNC (original "blue"), SYNC HD (original "blue"), MIDI I/O, 003 family, Mbox 2 family, Control|24, Command|8, Pro Control
They announced end of support for Control|24 with the next major version release, they would have to be insane to also end support for C|24 and not tell anyone until PT11 came out...

I don't think even Avid bean counters are capable of that degree of stupidity...
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
But they announced what wouldn't be supported, if it's not on the list then it will be OK.

Pro Tools 10 will be the final supported feature release for legacy Digidesign interfaces and controllers, including:
  • 192 I/O, 192 Digital I/O, 96 I/O, 96i I/O, SYNC (original "blue"), SYNC HD (original "blue"), MIDI I/O, 003 family, Mbox 2 family, Control|24, Command|8, Pro Control
They announced end of support for Control|24 with the next major version release, they would have to be insane to also end support for C|24 and not tell anyone until PT11 came out...

I don't think even Avid bean counters are capable of that degree of stupidity...
PT 10 doesn't support the 002 now PT 11 doesn't support 003. Follow the patterns.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 AM

It's a different product-line.

If that pattern was valid across the board then they would have stopped supporting HD Accel in PT9 (7.4.1 was the last Mix|24 version).
Old 12-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
PT 10 doesn't support the 002 now PT 11 doesn't support 003. Follow the patterns.
i'm using PT 10 and my 002 right now...and they work great together.
it's PT 11 that won't support the 002/003.

regards,
marco
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Hmmmm.... I think it's funny that we are arguing over support for a product that doesn't exist yet, 11.

I guess my original questions isn't a question as much as it is me humbly asking all of you your opinions.

Should I commit to PT10, Expert/Hardware/Software, or wait for 11?

What would you do in my position?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 AM

It's not clear what you mean by 'Commit'?

If you mean get certified as an expert for 10 and then stop getting certficates - then that's a business decision for you. If you think it will make a significant difference to your earnings between now and a new version of Protools then go for it.

Your expert status won't be invalidated by the next release, just as it hasn't been invalidated bythe release of 10 - the basic mode of operation won't change, there will be enhancements and changes that may change your work flow, 64-bit will make a big difference if you use VIs, but the basics will remain the same.....

It's hard to measure how much a certificate helps you bring in business....