How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 does not show clipping on recording

OK

Sorry you might be right. Pro Tools does not appear to clip with the Mbox 3.

I tested it in Windows 7 as well and same properties.

Not sure why, I gues its a goos thing, maybe it was setup like that for a reason?????

Anyone care to suggest why?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:43 PM

I am not sure what you are saying. Can you clarify?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedaysuk View Post
Has nobody bought an Mbox 3 with Protools at all?

Crazy so I am the only one?

Avid must be doing bad with the mbox sales
Or it could mean that few are having any problems. People don't usually post to a user conference, "Hey, I'm doing fine."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
In other words they are definitley clipped. I've checked the waveform and they are clipped.n The tips of the waves a flush agains the top with the peaks cut. Plus why would Pro tools clip on playback of the waveforms?
What happens if you reduce the size of the waveform? Make the track larger and reduce the waveform height. Does it still show clipping?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:

"I know the inputs clipped because if I record and playback the clips are then lit up."

In other words they are definitley clipped. I've checked the waveform and they are clipped.n The tips of the waves a flush agains the top with the peaks cut. Plus why would Pro tools clip on playback of the waveforms?

This must be an issue with the Mbox 3 + Protools 9 but I cant find anyone with the same setup yet.
Can you give me an exact, step by step, of what you're doing to test this? What are you using for your record source? Which input are you using? What are you looking at in the control panel?

The more detail you can provide, the better. I'll take a look at this as soon as possible.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Ok.

- I have installed it all on both Windows 7 and OSX 10.6

- The mbox 3 is freshly installed with the drivers, and Pro Tools 9 is also installed.

- I turn the input from the instrument input up to 100% using to pot on the Mbox. The Mbox red light is clipping all the time if the guitar is stummed - or even just lightly touched so I know the signal clips and is going in very hot.

- I monitor a signal in from a guitar plugged into the front instrument jack (I have several guitars that I tested so this applies to all) in Pro Tools 9 (have tried 9.0.1 as well).
I also have tested this using a DI pre amp plugged into the rear line input. I have also tested this on both inputs 1+2.

There is no indication in Pro Tools 9 that the level has clipped if I drive in the hot signal, the input indicator peaks at 0db for most of the time I am inputing the hot guitar signal. The Clip light on the Mbox however does illuminate.

I load up Reaper - WITH exactly the same input levels I then test input monitoring on a track and the clip indicator lights up as expected along with Mbox showing that the input is indeed clipping.

I loaded up Pro Tools 9 and I tested this with the Macbook built in Microphone and the levels clip in the metering so its not specifically with Pro Tools that this issue exists - looks like its not just PT or the Mbox must therefore be a combination of both (they are designed to talk to each other a bit more closely when combined am I correct) so the only way to test this is with this setup I cannot recreate it with other hardware.

I appreciate Avid support viewing this and ask would you be so kind as to test an Mbox 3 (standard not pro) with PT9 and see the behaviour because I am willing to put money down that you will see the same senario as myself given the fact that I tested on both Windows and Mac and that the Mbox works fine in Reaper. I think you might get what I am saying if you try it.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Ok heres my evidence that somethings wrong:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/880876/Scree...2021.56.38.png

You can see more clear that I managed to do a quick screen grab up close, this is in playback and you can see no ciping registered?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/880876/Scree...2021.59.22.png
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

And in reaper:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/880876/Scree...2022.04.20.png
Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 PM

I have the same setup, new mbox pro and PT9.0.1 and you are totally right!! You cannot get the clipped recording to clip the meters on playback even though it was clipping on input. Even the master fader does not show clipping on playback. This is odd. If you push the fader that has clipped audio over 0db and are in post fader metering mode it will clip the meters but with the signal I just pounded into a track as a test on input clipping during the whole recording, it does not clip when the fader is at 0 db on playback and it absolutely should be in the red all the time. Yet another issue to add to the list of issues I have come across with this new setup.

LOL!!! to add to this tom foolery I just inserted a meter plug in on the clipping track and it is clipping all the time so there it is... semi pro tools, sorry avid but this is unacceptable. They did not catch this and fix it in 9.0.1??? I hope an update is coming out soon!!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Even more silly is the fact that the mbox driver / mixer shows the same tracks and master fader are clipping but pro tools does not.