Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Angry Corrupt Sessions

Right I've got a problem with a session which won't open. When you try to open it this comes up:

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_joplin/AlturaPorts/PT_4_app/MacBuild/../Tracks/UDiskTracks.cpp", line 4206.

Can't open the session so Save As and Save copy can't be done (appently these don't work) also all the session backups are corrupt too. Anyone know any way of getting the data from this session. It's very important.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM

The usual read the "help us help you" thread.....
Import session data.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDet View Post
Import session data.
Done both. Don't work.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbin View Post
Done both. Don't work.
Have you tried making a new session and importing one track at a time? With all plugs except the Stereo Mixer plugin taken out of the Plugins Folder?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 AM

I had a VERY similar (if not identical, but don't recall exactly) corruption message last week. I tried creating a new session & importing, but that failed... UNTIL I quit & re-launched Pro Tools, and opened a known "non-corrupt" session. Then, creating a new session & importing all data from the corrupt one worked. (didn't have to import in segments, just brought in everything at once.)

Apparently PT "remembers" certain parameters from the last opened session & was applying them to my newly created one, thus perpetuating the corruption.

Hope this makes sense, or at least helps.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDet View Post
Import session data.
That's correct...use "import session data" and that should hopefully do the trick. best of luck. Also, I forgot to mention another thing you can try. Usually, any error that starts with the word "assertion" means that you need to get your drive permissions repaired AND more important than that , get rid of your old preferences, digi databases, etc. There's an application that someone on the DUC made which works pretty well. go to
http://web.mac.com/jcdeshaies/Delete...Bienvenue.html
Old 07-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Avid

ichbin - Could you please send a copy of the session file to "transfer" -at- "digidesign.com"? We'd like to investigate further...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWillis View Post
Apparently PT "remembers" certain parameters from the last opened session & was applying them to my newly created one, thus perpetuating the corruption.
It does use certain last-used parameters, but none that I would expect to get corrupted. Anything's possible.

The advice to open a simple and working session first is wise. May also need to clear out preferences, restart, open a NEW session from scratch, then import.

I've imported corrupt sessions about 20 times in the past 10 years and it has always worked. This one seems deep. Good luck and let us know what fixes it for future reference.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It does use certain last-used parameters, but none that I would expect to get corrupted. Anything's possible.
Yeah, it was a little odd... in my case, the assertion message was the same as the OP's through "AlturaPorts"... then I don't recall what came after.

In any event (and just for the tech record) the error message occurred when I tried to change the nudge setting. The parameter was set to Bars & Beats and I wanted to change to Minutes & Seconds, and then modify the value. Once the error message appeared I couldn't access or change the desired setting; also couldn't save, save-as, save-copy-in, etc. Don't know if it's relevant, but the session began as a PTv5 [2006] doc from a client that I opened & saved earlier in the day (I'm on 7.3.1.cs5, OS 10.4.8).

Fortunately the process I described above bailed me out & I only lost about 10 minutes worth of work. HTH.

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 11-29-2009, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Corrupt Sessions

this solution sort of just worked for me.

i had to open an earlier, non-corrupted session of the same song, as it wasn't letting me import session data including audio into a new session - was still getting the error msg.

i did a new save as and then imported my mix data from the corrupted session. worked perfectly.

and made me stop sweating.