Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 11-03-2020, 02:52 PM

Default New PTF user questions

PTF 2020
Win10 1909 64bit
HP Envy Laptop
i7-7500, 16gb, 500gb ssd
Scarlett 2nd gen 18i20 for eDrum MIDI
No name Interface on the keyboard, works everywhere else

Previous experience with Reaper, Ableton, Cakewalk
The following questions are non-issues when using the above DAWs

1) Recorded Audio track plays back fine. Using the default BLUES Template.
MIDI in the Drum Track with Expandi2 appears to be playing, but no Audio.

2) Sending MIDI from my eDrums to Drum Track with Expandi2 (RECORD ENABLED)- no Audio, can't tell if PTF is receiving MIDI - is there a MIDI RECEIVE indicator somewhere?

3) Same as 2), but on the ORGAN Track (Expandi2) sending MIDI from my Keyboard>MIDI Interface.

Everything APPEARS to be configured properly, MIDI Devices and Channels selected on the tracks, both MIDI instruments sending MIDI (confirmed in MIDIOX), Expandi2 using the default configurations from the BLUES Template.

What am I missing?

Screenshot attached

PTF1.jpg
Old 11-03-2020, 08:03 PM

Default Re: New PTF user questions

We can't see what you are doing with the blurry screen shot.

For getting started new with Pro Tools just make it easy for yourself and start with instrument tracks not MIDI tracks, just easier to get going. Get a single track working by itself in a test project, just create an empty project and add a stereo instrument track. Find a tutorial on YouTube for folks doing something similar to what you want and start by follow that along.

If MIDI notes are getting recorded you will see that on the MIDI timeline on the track.

Separate the recording that from the instrument tracks and plugins working at all... pencil in some notes on the instrument track MIDI editor/timeline to test that.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:31 PM

Default Re: New PTF user questions

Thanks for the reply.
Figured it out - DOH! I didn't have the Outputs properly selected on the MIDI/Audio tracks! In my other DAWs, Audio Track Output defaults to MASTER (1/2). Live and learn!