Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Default Pro Tools Satellite audio out of sync between machines

Having a sync issue with two machines working in a Satellite mode.

One Admin and one Satellite
Admin is the record machine.

Both systems are locked to 24fr 1080p video reference.

Audio going to the record machine is consistently 2 Frames 465 samples late.

The audio travels through MADI in and out and through a D.O. TEC M.1k2. Madi Router.

We can adjust for the 2 frames offset in the SYNC Setup window but we can’t compensate for the 465 samples.

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Satellite audio out of sync between machines.

Because of the way satellite and delay compensation work, audio come out of both machines at the same time "in sync". SO... if you play one system into the other, your audio will be late.
In your case I would add 3 frames in your global instead of 2... so your audio will now be "early" into system 2 by 1535 samples... compensate by that much with a custom delay on an input aux on system 2. (mix window->view delay comp-> the +/- section of the track on the bottom)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Satellite audio out of sync between machines

Thanks Norad.

I discovered some Native plugs were causing the 2 frame latency on the record machine. Changed those to DSP and that got rid of the 2 frames but now I'm baffled by a 456 sample latency on the record tracks when recording audio. Tried disabling delay compensation on the record tracks only but that doesn't change anything. I'm baffled by this.

I hear what you're saying about adding in delay compensation on the incoming aux inputs. The problem I have is if I use a global offset the time codes don't match on the systems when the transport is stopped. Not a deal breaker but this doesn't seem right.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:20 AM

Now that you're under a frame, and if you want the TC to match, you can add a delay to the source system the same way. Have an output aux and add a custom delay.

it does sound like everything is working properly. If a signal leaves system 1 "on time"... system 2 is already at that same position. So whatever time it takes for the signal to get through the IO of both systems (in this case 456 samples) will have to get compensated for someplace.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:10 AM

isnt there a pref smewhere for compensate after a record pass which compensates for the Avid IO input delay on the record machine?

I may be very wrong here, as I manage to squeeze my films/dramas in one box and don't have a 2nd machine

just a thought

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
isnt there a pref smewhere for compensate after a record pass which compensates for the Avid IO input delay on the record machine?

I may be very wrong here, as I manage to squeeze my films/dramas in one box and don't have a 2nd machine

just a thought

Hi Mike. There is this preference check box on the IO setup page for both input and output. They’re supposed to be unchecked, I think, when using the system as a Dubber machine. However, there is no noticible difference with the option checked or unchecked.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:05 AM

Just to say as far as I'm aware you need to have delay comp switched off completely on the recorder not just on indivudual tracks. Realistically you cannot run any plugins on that machine. Not sure if that is what you are doing.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Any plugins on the input to your record tracks will cause a delay. A machine cannot compensate for Sound entering it (it's not a time machine), only adjust after the recording if that option exists.

Envoyé de mon LYA-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

The studio FB page