Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-14-2004, 09:27 AM

Default No sound via Digi002R from other applications

Hi All,

My Digi002 Rack works great with Pro Tools, Reason, Recycle but not with other appliations like Quick Time Player, Internet Explorer, DVD Player, Real Player, I Tunes.
I have sellected all of the applications in the CoreAudio Supported Applications Setup.
When i launch these applications the LED 1394 on my 002R is on for about 5 seconds and then it goes off. And i hear no sound via 002R.
How can i solve this problem?

I'm using a G5 1.8Mhz single processor with 2GB RAM, Mac OSX 10.3.3 with Pro Tools 6.4

Bye,

Peter Parker.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: No sound via Digi002R from other applications

Quote:
Hi All,

My Digi002 Rack works great with Pro Tools, Reason, Recycle but not with other appliations like Quick Time Player, Internet Explorer, DVD Player, Real Player, I Tunes.
I have sellected all of the applications in the CoreAudio Supported Applications Setup.
When i launch these applications the LED 1394 on my 002R is on for about 5 seconds and then it goes off. And i hear no sound via 002R.
How can i solve this problem?

I'm using a G5 1.8Mhz single processor with 2GB RAM, Mac OSX 10.3.3 with Pro Tools 6.4

Bye,

Peter Parker.
download core audio 6.5.2 that should fix it.
i hope
blue ray player
HDX 1, 2 16X16 interfaces
sync I/O.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:44 PM

This may be too simple but you can't have ProTools running when you try this.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:53 PM

Yes, i know that only one application can use the Digi002R.
I will try the latest version of CoreAudio, now i'm using version 6.4.

Bye,
Peter Parker
Old 08-14-2004, 02:59 PM

The new version of core audio is multi-client but I have not heard good things about it. Is this a new system? Has it ever worked?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:10 PM

No it never worked since i have my 002R, when i had a Mbox everything worked fine.

Bye, Peter Parker
Old 08-14-2004, 03:16 PM

I would recommend updating your OS to 10.3.5. Do you have anything besides the 002R hooked to your firewire port and what order are the devices in?
Old 08-14-2004, 03:30 PM

The following may help you. It was sent out recently.
Here's the list of steps to take when encountering problems using Core Audio:

1. Trash preferences files. Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and delete the following:

com.digidesign.protools.plist
com.digidesign.coreaudiosetup.plist
DAE prefs (folder)
Digisetup.OSX (and Digisetup.OSX.corrupt, if you see it)
Digidesign CoreAudio Setup.plist

Empty the trash and restart your computer.

Tip: Putting your system into Columns view (View>As Columns) will put everything into alphabetical order and make them easier to find.

You may also need to trash the preferences file for the application that is having the issue with the Core Audio driver. Contact t! he manufacturer of the particular software to determine which ! preferences files are safe to delete.

You should do this all at once, rather than piece by piece - a clean 'reset' of the preferences files usually will clear up any errant behavior.

2. Make sure that you don't have any other apps running in the background like system utilities, screen savers, energy savers or virus protection. These will interfere with playback and cause errors and other problems.

3. Configure your Energy Saver settings. Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences, then click on Energy Saver. Make sure that both 'Put the computer to sleep' and 'Put the display to sleep' are both set to 'Never'. Uncheck the box next to 'Put the hard disk to sleep when possible'.

For Powerbook, iBook and G5 owners, click on 'Options' and make sure that processor performance is set to 'Highest'. This is critical for proper operation of Pro Tools or the Core Audio driver.

4. Make sure that all drives being used are Firewire 400 drives (Firewire 800 drives are not supported), that they have the Oxford 911 bridge chip, spin at 7200rpm and have been formatted 'Mac OS Extended' (NOT journalled!) using the OSX Disk Utility found in MacHD>Applications>Utilities.

5. Also in your System Preferences, click on Security and make sure that FileVault is turned OFF.

Some tips when using the Core Audio driver (also found in the Usage Guide or Read Me).

1. To have an application 'opt out' of using the Core Audio driver, hold down the 'Shift' key when launching the application. Some applications function slightly differently in that they will not access the Core Audio driver until they play their first sound. To have them properly 'opt out' you need to make sure to hold down the 'Shift' key just before they play their first sound. There is no simple way to work around this limitation without over-complicating the Core Audio Manager application.

2. Higher buffer sizes will give smoother and more reliable playback, especially with hardware like the Mbox (due to the limited bandwidth of the USB bus). Intermittent playback or playback that is interrupted periodically is usually caused by using too low of a buffer setting, especially when you have several applications using the Core Audio driver simultaneously.

3. iChat and Mail are not fully supported for sound playback through the multi-client Digidesign CoreAudio driver. To avoid playback problems, please use the Shift modifier during launch to force usage of the built-in Mac speaker. See the CoreAudio Driver Usage Guide for more information about the Shift key modifier. You can also disable sounds from either application to avoid this issue.

Please read the Usage Guide and Read Me - they really do contain valuable information that will help you avoid common problems.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:43 PM

Suhweeeet!!!
I was wondering how to get this to work
http://www.andrewmckennalee.com
Old 08-15-2004, 06:24 PM

I've tried the latest version Core Audio 6.5.2, it works well now, stupid that i haven't tried before.

Thanks for all your answers.

Bye,

Peter Parker