Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Which Surround Monitor Controller...?

... would you recommend. I've been using the SPL but am not totally thrilled. It's a bit clunky & big on my desk, doesn't have talkback, has already bust a channel once. Been looking at the C|24 but it's a bit overkill as I'm a composer... would love to have just its master section! I love the grace 906, but not sure why I would need any onboard d/a converters. I do need at least 2 stereo ins, which the coleman doesn't seem to have. Also posted this in the Post section.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Joel
Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Which Surround Monitor Controller...?

Hi Joel,

I have been using the Grace m906 for the past 2 years and it is a great monitor system. I have a 192 connected digitally to the AES surround and AES stereo 1 + 2 inputs, through a digital patchbay. This allows me to route the outputs of my pro tools session or any of the other devices on the patchbay (e.g. Tascam DVR recorder, external stereo AD converters) to the m906 inputs. The DA converters on the m906 are excellent, as is the stepped volume control, headphone output, talkback mic preamp, etc.

The unbalanced surround inputs are incredibly useful for listening to reference mixes from my consumer dvd-a/sacd player on both the surround and stereo outputs. I also use the cue i/o in between the pro tools headphone mix out and the studio cue system so that I can inject talkback into the headphone mix, or easily redirect any of the inputs to the studio headphones. The extra s/pdif and toslink digital inputs are connected to my cd player + apple computer optical digital output. In this way, any reference audio, whether cd, mp3, internet audio, software other than pro tools, etc. is output through the same DA converters as my pro tools mix. I also have an analog mixer feeding the balanced stereo input. A simple press of the button allows me to switch between any of these sources monitored through the same signal path.

IHTH
Andrew
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks so much Andrew, that's awesome info. You'll never believe this... I went to your website & saw my address, confused I realized I'm in the studio just 2 floors above you!! I'm in 503. Perhaps I could stop by & have a little look/chat?

All the best,
Joel
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 AM

One more question Andrew: using the optical ins for the Apple, can you monitor the input simultaneously while working in PT? I currently route the Apple outs into a spare slot on an interface, and can then hear it through an aux within sessions... usually for iChat or iTunes.

Thanks!
Joel
Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 AM

One more question Andrew: using the optical ins for the Apple, can you monitor the input simultaneously while working in PT? I currently route the Apple outs into a spare slot on an interface, and can then hear it through an aux within sessions... usually for iChat or iTunes.

Thanks!
Joel
Old 11-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Hi Joel,

That is funny - typical of New York that we work in the same (relatively small) building and meet on the internet. I use the optical input on the m906 so that I can switch inputs while PT is running. The other advantage of the m906 DA converter is that it accepts all incoming sample rates without having to slave to one particular clock. So the cd player @ 44.1k, computer @44.1k, PT @ 48k sample rates works fine.

I will send you a pm.

Cheers
Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM

Mmmm Star Trek! Pretty seductive there. I just read this on the Dangerous website about their monitor. This is HYSTERICAL!

"The PPI (or “Producer Pacification Indicator”) button is likely to save your mixes as well. It doesn’t do anything (except when in Setup mode,) but the next time you have a perfect mix together and a producer says, “I like it, but it just needs a little more,” you’re covered. When this happens, simply pop on the insanely cool blue PPI light and say “Which do you like better, this (off) or this (on)?” Invariably, the producer will pick the “blue light” setting and you can happily print your mix, collect your fee, and move on to your next job".
Old 11-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Gotta put in my vote for the Dangerous Monitor SR - works and sounds great...and looks like it was pulled from the Starship Enterprise.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Gotta put in my vote for the Dangerous Monitor SR - works and sounds great...and looks like it was pulled from the Starship Enterprise.
+1 for Dangerous ST/SR. The feature set is comprehensive, and the sound is excellent.

System info: PT Ultimate 2019.6 HDX, Mac Pro 5,1 Westmere, OS 10.13.3, UAD2 Octo PCIe, 2x Lynx Aurora16 w LTHD cards, 1x Lynx Aurora(n) 32 ch analog I/O DigiLink, 4x Dangerous Convert-8 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Convert-2 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Vonvert AD+, Apogee Big Ben, SSD boot drive, external FW800 audio drives
Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM

Yup in the end I think the price of the Grace is a bit steep for my needs, and I've now fallen in love with the coloured lights and remote of the Dangerous one. I've decided to go with that. I also like the modular expandability of it. Some very cool possible additions that it seems were shown at AES...

http://aes.harmony-central.com/123AE.../Expander.html

Thanks all for input. Much appreciated.
Joel