How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 AM

Default Re: HD1 or HD Native card

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Or maybe erroneous. Part of the Avid shell game.

I like the redesign of the forum. It may portend the coming of a tidal wave, a new era, a huge upgrade fee . . . or just smoke and mirrors.
Lets hope for the best huh- time will tell
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccarson View Post
My primary reason for upgrading was to utilize the Disk Cache features of PT10HD. With an HD1 system, I could use TDM for at least a while, possibly bump it up to an HD2 system and also have a better interface.
When PT11HD comes around, I could simply sell the HD system or possibly do a trade for an HD native (or HDX) system. Heck I could just use the software with other hardware. Hopefully I have made my thought process clear.
And just a quick note as a point of reference. Ive been around since reel to reel, to ADAT to the first mix system that I beleived worked on a pentium 2 with 16mb of ram. Heck I used Cubase on an Atari for sequencing. Ive learned over the years. Most of the time upgrading isnt needed unless there is a feature that will make your workflow faster/better and/or the quality increases exponentially and/or your creativity is enhanced and in turn it can make better music and more money. After all for some of us this is a business. I really do appreciate all those who have taken the time to respond. Just trying to get some professional opinions from real PT users, not salesman.

I get what you're saying & to me, it sounds like a good idea. But like you, I don't know what benefits there are to a native system as opposed to a TDM system.

I'm using PT7.4 LE & have been for 5 years now? Something like that. I recently bought an ElevenRack that came with PT10, but I don't have a computer that will run it yet... so I've been visiting these boards, just to get the scoop on PT10.

I've also scanned the WWW & it looks like people are dumping HD cards left & right. An HD3 system is well within my reach, so I've thought..... why not?

To me, it's like buying a SonyDMX R100. Sure, sooner or later the manufacturer is going to stop supporting it. But if it works, it works. If I were in a big production/post-production studio, where support is critical, I can see moving on. But if I'm in a "home studio" or smallish studio, where I'm wearing a lot of hats (including maintenance tech)..... I've got so many other things I can be spending my money on.

I've already goofed & spent more than I should on my "hobby" for the year, but next year.... next year I may pick up one of these HD systems with PT10. As long as I can build a computer that will support the system, I'll be alright. 64bits is a major hurdle & PT10 is going to be the last software bridge.... the disk cache seems to be the only 64 bit support I need anyway.

My only hope, is that I'll be able to buy plugins that will work with the HD hardware in the future.... only to save on cost. Plugins that used to cost $1000 can now be had for $300 & they sound just as good as when they were new.

Then I'll still have access to AAX plugins.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
There is years of native plugs available to get what I need to track with, plus can use both AAX and rtas currently. AAX DSP has its plugs trickling out this last year. There is some good ones in here for sure, but it is still very limited in the choice of developers. This requires former HD users to alter and change their tracking routine. Again, this will probably change other than waves. You have been tracking with dverb, you obviously know this is true.

I know this post is a month old. But, thought I'd ask. If you have years of plugins, & you were tracking/mixing on an HD system, why didn't you just go to PT 10HD? Then you'd still be able to use your TDM plugs, your RTAS plugs, & the new AAX plugs.

I've never bought a TDM plug so I don't know, but do they come like a lot of other VSTs in that you get both the TDM & RTAS versions at the same time?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderKyss View Post
I know this post is a month old. But, thought I'd ask. If you have years of plugins, & you were tracking/mixing on an HD system, why didn't you just go to PT 10HD? Then you'd still be able to use your TDM plugs, your RTAS plugs, & the new AAX plugs.

I've never bought a TDM plug so I don't know, but do they come like a lot of other VSTs in that you get both the TDM & RTAS versions at the same time?
I am using PT10 HD with a native card. With this I can use rtas and aax plugins, but not tdm or aax DSP plugins. Those that use HD hardware cannot use aax DSP plugs but can use aax native plugs.

But I was able to move from a regular native system to a HDN system and all my plugs will still work and will be compatible w the next generation of Pt.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 PM

For mixing I know a couple guys that have moved from HD to HD|N and are very happy.

Darryl Ramm
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM

You can be happy if you don't mix with HEAT. I actually like HEAT a lot so that makes mixing on HDN a no go.