Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 03:51 PM

Default do dropped deliveries resume?

I've read a few posts on this subject, and have yet to see any conclusive response.

I have a client on a wired internet connection who had a delivery from my Serv|LT drop out while it was downloading, and it did not resume from where it left off, as advertised, but she had to start from the beginning every time. (This happened 3 or 4 times. Eventually she did get the delivery and was very impressed by how fast it was, even on her slow DSL -- I don't know the exact speed, but "slow" is her word to describe it.)

I've seen a lot of similar postings here and I'm curious: has anyone actually experienced a dropped delivery that does resume where it left off? I've yet to see it, but I'm new to the product. I simply can't believe that Digi would make the claim if it didn't work under some circumsances. Is there some trick to making this work that I need to tell my clients? Are there some known situations where it works and others where it doesn't? (The thought that comes to my mind: client with DHCP = won't resume; client with static IP = will resume.)

Thanks in advance,
Tor
Old 10-20-2006, 07:30 PM

Default Re: do dropped deliveries resume?

I had my computer crash during a download.. when I rebooted the download resumed.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the response. Does that computer have a static or dynamic address?

My new theory, though, is that it'll resume if the computer crashes, but not if the delivery is dropped. I'm still not sure why the delivery drops sometime, but it seems that it doesn't resume when that happens.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 PM

It has a dynamic IP address... but since it's hardly ever turned off the IP remains pretty constant.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks, Rail.

I know from reading this board that others are having deliveries that drop and don't resume.

Gordon, do you have any insight to share on which circumstances resume and which don't? Have you been able to reproduce a delivery that doesn't resume? I'm not sure if I can make a reproducable example, but I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Mostly I want to understand the product better so that I won't sound ignorant when I say "it should resume when it drops" and my client says "it didn't" and then I say "huh, that's weird, it's supposed to." I'm learning just not to say "it should resume when it drops" in the first place, but I sure would like to understand it a little better so I could help my clients make this product work better for them.

Thanks,
Tor