Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-18-2017, 12:36 PM

Default Simple Komplete/Hard Drive Question

Hello,

So I bought Komplete 11 Ultimate and want to download it to my external hard drive. The only thing I have on this hard drive is a few PT sessions that I run it from.

Question: Since the PT 12 program is downloaded on my Mac, once I put Komplete 11 on my hard drive will I be able to run a PT session with Komplete added?

I am just checking since Komplete will be on a hard drive but, PT is on my computer and if they will communicate together in any session I open up (regardless if it's saved on my desktop or to my hard drive).

- Thank you!!!

Spencer B
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Simple Komplete/Hard Drive Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBoatman25 View Post
Hello,

So I bought Komplete 11 Ultimate and want to download it to my external hard drive. The only thing I have on this hard drive is a few PT sessions that I run it from.

Question: Since the PT 12 program is downloaded on my Mac, once I put Komplete 11 on my hard drive will I be able to run a PT session with Komplete added?

I am just checking since Komplete will be on a hard drive but, PT is on my computer and if they will communicate together in any session I open up (regardless if it's saved on my desktop or to my hard drive).

- Thank you!!!

Spencer B
The only thing to go on the external drive is the content; not the programs like Kontakt, Absynth, fx plugins. Doesn't matter to PT where the Komplete content is - just the programs themselves. Just pay attention when doing the install that you tell the installer where to put the content on the drive NI sent you.

QAPLA!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:08 PM

Ah, I see. I heard that's you want as much on the hard drive as you can so your computer won't get overloaded.

Komplete 11 Ultimate is a beastly file of 363 GB for complete installation.

I don't want my computer/Pro Tools to work smoothly and have not crashes/overloads from this download.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. I heard that's you want as much on the hard drive as you can so your computer won't get overloaded.

Komplete 11 Ultimate is a beastly file of 363 GB for complete installation.

I don't want my computer/Pro Tools to work smoothly and have not crashes/overloads from this download.
Remember again that the whole Komplete 11 doesn't go on the external - only the sample content which is mainly the stuff for Kontakt and Battery 4.

QAPLA!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Ok, thank you for helping me out!

So from this screenshot let me know if this is correct before I download.

Download location- should be desktop

Application location- should be desktop

Content location- should be hard drive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 12.21.03 PM.jpg (43.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Humor me as I try and understand what is going on. Some of this will sound stupid but there are times I like to get excessive with my thoughts.

You're installing from the NI supplied drive right? Seems kind of weird if you're installing from the NI drive.

The Application location is right.

As far as 'Content Location' you don't want that on your system drive. It should go on whatever drive you have your samples on. That 'content' should mainly be, like I said earlier, the samples for Battery 4 and Kontakt. The Kontakt stuff includes not just what's in Kontakt itself (the Factory Library) but also stuff like the Pianos, the various Drummer pinraries (which play through Kontakt), etc. The reason, as I said, you don't want that on your system drive is responsiveness - a spinner drive can only access on spot on the drive at any time on a rather slow access rate. If the system drive is an ssd then that kind of goes away but I still wouldn't put my samples there.

A secondary thing of putting samples on a separate drive is that when (not if but when) you have to either reformat your system drive, replace it or it befalls some other disaster you don't have to reload the gigabytes of sample data. Trust me on this - I not only have my samples on a separate drive but I also have a clone of that drive. So if I lose one drive I have the other to keep working. You don't have to go that far but it's food for thought.

QAPLA!
Old 03-19-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:

That's the installation screen for the Komplete download version. Leave the Download and Application locations unchanged on their default settings.

Change the Content location to your external drive. I think there's an option not to delete the installation files after installation. DON'T delete them! You my need to revert back to them in future if a future update proves unstable.

Ideally you should install Komplete's content on a separate drive to Pro Tools sessions.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
That's the installation screen for the Komplete download version. Leave the Download and Application locations unchanged on their default settings.

Change the Content location to your external drive. I think there's an option not to delete the installation files after installation. DON'T delete them! You my need to revert back to them in future if a future update proves unstable.

Ideally you should install Komplete's content on a separate drive to Pro Tools sessions.
Thing is he has the NI supplied hard drive so there's no sweat about deletions. What is the stuff to keep safe is the updates as keep in mind that what NI sends on the drive is NOT the latest versions of their stuff. Best to use either the old Service Center and select the option to keep the downloads once the updates is applied or to download each update separately from one's user account. Native Access deletes the downloaded updates once applied.

QAPLA!