Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Space All Clips 0.5 Seconds Apart

Greetings and salutations Pro Tools Community!

Pretty much everything I know is from GarageBand and Logic Pro. I don't have Logic Pro at the moment, so have been using Pro Tools for editing a 40 chapter audiobook. It's more suited for long format editing than GarageBand, since each track is 10-15 minutes long rather than your standard 4 minute song. I have a couple of questions regarding optimizing a project this long and with so many clips.

First, is there a way for me to set all of the clips within a track to be spaced apart by a certain amount? I have the clips divided by sentence, and need to evenly space them so I can start pacing the narration.

Second, is there a way to place room tone automatically in the blank areas of the track left in between clips by strip silence?

Thank you! I look forward too your reply.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Space All Clips 0.5 Seconds Apart

A good solution is in post #2 : http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389048 , if the clips are all butted up against each other, no space between them.
Do not use a dummy clip, but a 0,5 sec room tone clip.
Basically : TAB to the end of one clip, V for pasting the room tone, Tab , V , Tab , V , Tab, V , ... .
Oh, and : welcome !
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 03-17-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the welcome Joachim!

That looks like an incredibly simple and satisfactory answer, I am indebted to you for life... Or at least extremely happy Thanks for the quick response time!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:57 PM

This is working awesome! One more question, can I automaticly delete the blank space created by Strip Silence? It would save a lot of time butting the clips next to each other if I could.

Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2017, 02:28 PM

Automatically delete, I do not think so, but :
have clip list open,
clip list - menu : timeline drop order left/right,
clip list - sort by : time,
select all clips in the edit window - they are highlighted as well in the clip list,
in the clip list : drag the clips to a new track (or somewhere after the clips in the original tracks,
all are butted up.
Remove the original, spaced clips.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 03-17-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Basically : TAB to the end of one clip, V for pasting the room tone, Tab , V , Tab , V , Tab, V , ... .
Correction, it must be : Tab Tab V , Tab Tab V , Tab Tab V , Tab Tab V , ...
Old 03-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Thank you no!

After I asked these questions, I found that in many instances strip silence wouldn't work, as any sort of breath or lip noise would pollute the room tone, and I couldn't raise the threshold high enough to clear them without essentially noise gating the rest of the audio, a no no with ACX and it's my personal preference to avoid it as well. So I simply went through with my selector tool the way I'm sure many people with DAWs cabable of it do, and used my selector tool to highlight the room tone and breaths, then paste the half second of clean room tone over them. This adjusted pacing and cleaned the audio in the same way as the strip silence and tab tab command V method, and really didn't take any longer. Thanks for your help, it's really helped me figure out my workflow as I learn Pro Tools.

Thanks again!