Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Total Newbie HELP, please point me the right way..

Hello all,

I have no idea where to start here.

My band recorded tracks for a project at a local studio using Protools on a MAC. However, the mastering process is being done at another studio, and we're running into compatiblity issues!

The mastering studio wants microsoft .WAV files.

The recording studio gave me an 80 GB firewire drive with contents from Protools, and I'm told they are SD2 format.

However, my computer (PC) isn't recognizing file extensions at all, much less SD2, and won't read the files in any program.

The external drive contains files and folders such as:

Desktop DB
FINDER
Desktop DF (all files)
Desktop Folder
song1
song2
song3
song4
Trash (all folders)

Within the song folders, where I'm assuming I should be finding SD2 files, are things like:

Resource.FRK (folder), which contains small files that relate to each track.
Then all the files named after the tracks, these are all 30+MB so I'm assuming it's these that I'm going to try to convert. NONE of these files show up as anything, no extensions at all, and are just called 'file'.

What can I do with this? Have I just obtained a bunch of useless data that only a mac-enabled Pro-Tools setup can read?

Once again, I need these to be converted to Microsoft .WAV, I even purchased a program, River Past Audio Convertor, to do just this. No matter what I do with the 30+ meg track files, even renaming them with the .SD2 extension, the convertor program will NOT read the data.

The studio where we recorded at says that it can NOT render .WAV files from Protools, and would need to 'bounce' each individual track one at a time at an additional $300 cost to us. This is not in our budget, and if I've been given SD2 files, River Past would handle the duties just fine.

What have I been given? Do I have SD2 files? How can I proceed, or what to tell the engineer at the recording studio so he can produce what we need (SD2 or WAV)?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I'd take the time to plow through the forum and locate some answers myself but we're on a tight deadline and I need .wav's by the next day or so...

HELP!

Ralph Brooks
band-ZeroPointOne
[email protected]
Old 06-24-2004, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Total Newbie HELP, please point me the right w

Hi,

Where are you located?
It's a simple matter of having someone with a later version of PT re-save your sessions as wav files.
If you get totally stuck, e-mail me: [email protected]
Old 06-25-2004, 08:23 AM

No, thing is this guy has the NEWEST version of PT at all times! Apparently he just doesn't know how to do that, or is unwilling to.

I'm located in PA.

Will a later version of PT free do this?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:08 AM

Windows will not recognize SDii files. Tell the studio you need your session to be crossplatform compatible, and to do a "Save session copy in" on your FW drive., enforcing Mc/PC compatibility, which they SHOULD have done, if they were professionals. They should do this for you at no charge.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:57 PM

Thanks!

I'm having a hard time understanding all this... I have programs that claim to copy SD2 files to .wav's, but PC's won't read SD2's? One of them says it uses Quicktime to read them... I'm still confused because the files that exist on the FD appear to have NO extensions! I can understand, yes, here's an SD2 file that my pc won't read. But why is it showing no extensions at all? Or is it the MAC platform thing again?

GRRR! I'm going nuts on this. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Windows will not recognize SDii files. Tell the studio you need your session to be crossplatform compatible, and to do a "Save session copy in" on your FW drive., enforcing Mc/PC compatibility, which they SHOULD have done, if they were professionals. They should do this for you at no charge.
EXACTLY!! I would ask for a refund from these morons!!
Old 06-25-2004, 11:08 PM

Simply download the demo of MacDrive5 from MediaFour and mount the Mac formatted drive on any XP system.. and use my free utility sdTwoWav to convert the sd2 files to WAV files.

sd2 files don't need extensions.. since the app association is kept in the resource fork.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-28-2004, 11:41 PM

Hey Jon!

I found that program before I read your post! LOL... As of early Sunday morning SDtwoWAV has converted all the files flawlessly. Ya need to get better meta-tag keywords on your site so simpler searches find it! I was searching weird strings on google before I got it.

It worked GREAT! You da man!

THANKS everyone!

Ralph
Old 06-29-2004, 02:36 AM

Well.... after all that, I doubt you'll be using that studio again!!
Most PT users are generally using PT5 and up and so saving either entire sessions or exporting files as .wavs is SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE!!! These people are clowns.... stay well away!