Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Default OMF Slipping

I'm doing most long-form documentaries and have noticed more and more that with an hour-long show, once I've imported the OMF, that there is some gradual slipping occurring: I notice this because lipsync for interviews go off, but it's not a creeping death slip, there will often be 4/5 frames (I work in PAL 25fps), or another larger number, but for perhaps a reasonable section of the OMF, it will be entirely off. There seems no rhyme or reason, and while it's easy enough to slip these interview clips, it does make me wonder if everything else that isn't obviously synced has also slipped: I've noticed some location sound / ambient sound also slipping. I usually compare these problems based on the quicktime movie that I am supplied for the OMF as a video reference.

Of course, the horrible thought is that maybe it's the Quicktime as exported from FCP (everything I get is from FCP, a dearth of Avid editing where I am) and I'm compensating a problem that is generated from the export of a single 50+ minutes quicktime movie.

Would be interested to hear if other mixers have come across the same issue?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Default Re: OMF Slipping

If possible (if the QuickTime is only an offline/temp), just drop a marker with a note at a questionable spot and wait for final pic to make sync adjustments. You really never know if you're dealing with QT slop or an OMF that got played with after the ref movie's audio was made.

I often see/hear timing differences between OMFs and the guide audio. I wonder how it happens, but wait for final pic if at all possible.