Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Getting away from the computer while recording...

How do you get away from the computer while recording?

It seems that any computer powerful enough to run ProTools LE with minimal latency must be a fairly robust computer, which means lots of component and processor heat, which means lots of cooling fans, which means lots of noise.

If using an 002 control surface, it is tethered to the computer via Firewire400, which has a maximum distance limitation of 4.5m or 14 feet... which seems barely enough to get out of the room. Adding firewire repeaters seems risky, since Avid/Digidesign appears to be so finicky as to what equipment is Digi-certified... ie, there is only ONE firewire card that is actually approved and certified for ProTools.

I've never self-recorded to a computer before. I imagine that I might need to monitor the digital/onscreen equivalent of VU meters while recording, so at least the control surface and the LCD screen must be with me in the isolation booth, right?

And if this is true, than the DVI interface (monitor) distance limitation is even shorter, at about 2 meters (6 feet).

So, I'm wondering how you get away from the computer while recording?