Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2020, 03:15 AM

Default PT 12.5 Plugin Automation delay bug?

Hi DUC,

In recent couple of days I've been going crazy with this thing, and the thing is:

Plugin Automation delays randomly [which means: sometimes it does, sometimes not, sometimes it delays only on some tracks while on the other identical tracks there is no delay]. It delays in amount of summed sample-delay of all plugins that are active in AUX/Master tracks in which the Plugin Automation flows.

ADC is on. It's like ADC is (randomly) not working for Plugin Automation parameter part only, while for everything else (Faders, Audio, GUI...) it is working.

So to, hopefully, make this more clear: It is not all types of automation, it is just Plugin Automation.
It is not the track itself, the track sounds perfectly aligned with all other tracks.
It is not GUI that is delayed, watching the automated plugin parameters, all the automation GUI is working fine, on time, on all tracks.
It is the Plugin Automation parameter effect on the sound (audible part of the Plugin automation) - that is delayed.

I uploaded the test project, in which I am using automated Trim control on 9 duplicated tracks. Also, for this case, I used multiple instances of Fabfilter Limiter on Master Bus - cause it gives enough of System Delay so that the issue is more pronounced but the issue happens if I use in this purpose any Plugin which produces Plugin-sample-delay.

In this uploaded test project, Third snare hit should be completely muted by the volume Trim control, but the problem is - sometimes muting happens after the hit, and the delay depends on amount of System delay in which the tracks flow.

How to replicate the bug? I just hit play, then I solo the tracks individually to check if it is happening on any of them. Or, I just watch meters, they play very differently when it happens, when they should not be (it is not the ADC thing). Sometimes it will be off as soon as project is opened, sometimes it will become off while working and playing within project, but mainly some of the Plugin Automation will be off as soon as I open project. Sometimes, if I just re-open project, some of the automation will start working correctly.

Workaround for me at this moment is to freeze up to the Plugin which is automated. Freezing works perfectly and it respects Plugin Automation.
Interestingly, Bouncing the project (using Ctrl-Alt-B on Win.) is affected by the issue. While, bouncing only Master track (Right clicking on Master track and choosing Bounce option) works just fine and it respects the Automation just like it should. Real-time/Online bounce is not working correctly in both the cases.

I've tried this with Third party plugins, with Avid plugins, on RME and Mytek interface, I tried it with clean install of Windows 7 and with Windows 10. I tried it with different Buffers and sample rates, different BIOS settings etc... no improvements. Next thing for me will be to try it on Intel CPU, maybe it is just AMD thing, but I am not convinced.

Probably I forgot to mention something or forgot to try something else, but I think this should be enough for you to start understanding the fun I am all about - these days. If there is anyone who experienced the similar issue, could you please advise?

Project URL:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11T...LYSPUA2jUgvrzh

My setup is:
Asus Prime x370-PRO, AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960EVO NVMe system drive, Kingston SSD projects drive, GeForce 1030, Windows 10, RME Digiface, Pro Tools HD 12.5

Stay safe and thank you!
Ivan

Last edited by Ivan Bergamo; 03-26-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention the setup
Old 03-26-2020, 02:14 PM

Default Re: PT 12.5 Plugin Automation delay bug?

Lucky me. I think I found the culprit!

Finally, out of desperation I tried using Windows Audio Device as a playback engine and Voilà! It worked perfectly. I tested for 1 hour and it worked.

Long story short, it was AFL/PFL setup. With my RME interface, I used same Path for Monitoring as for AFL/PFL. I guess this is not recommended setup, to use the same output on both places, but this is what I learned on hard way. :)

Thank you for your time, stay safe, and don't give up :) Just remember, it's never Pro Tools, it's always the workflow

Last edited by Ivan Bergamo; 03-26-2020 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Actually, it looks like using the same output for both the paths is the usual way, but it is not working very well on my sys.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:23 PM

Glad you figured it out Thanks for sharing the solution. Keep in mind that PT does NOT compensate for plugin latency on the Master Track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-26-2020, 03:37 PM

Thanks Albee. Yes, it seems that AFL/PFL output is affecting Plugin Automation in some weird way, no matter of used Output so I will leave it to "none" for now...
Thanks for the plugin latency on the Master Track tip. That's something I will experiment with on my next session. :) Cheers!