Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 03:34 PM

Default How to run reverb question

I've had my Pro Tools system for a few years but only now have I really started to use it. I have version 5.3.1. I have started to lay down some background vocal tracks on top of sequenced mixes I use for the duo I'm in. My question is how should I add reverb to thses background vocals? So far, I have normalized the vocal sample, then I use the D-Verb plug-in and process it directly onto the vocal sample. Or, should I create an aux track with the D-Verb running thru it instead? I also need advice on reverb settings. I'm using Med Hall at 0.0 db Input level at 40% Wet at 2.0 sec Decay. I know it's a subjective area, but I would like to hear back from those of you who are much more experienced than me at audio engineering on what you're using for reverb settings.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: How to run reverb question

The most common practice is to use bus sends in your vocal tracks, to an aux track with a 100% wet reverb on it. Adjust the aux track volume to give you the mix you desire. The reason is probably because that most closely resembles old analogue work flows. I like it because a single plug-in can now serve all your vocals, and an eq inserted after the verb can be quite useful to adjust only the reverb's sound.

Specific settings really just depend on the feel you're going for. Reverb time is, I feel, is the most influential setting. I still just end up fiddlin' with it 'till I like it.

Hope this helps

Phil
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: How to run reverb question

Phil said it great. Once you get away from Dverb and start using some of the others, you will likely find others are easier to use(mostly due to the "just plain better" sound). Dverb is a handy tool for either very subtle, or nasty verbs. For high quality, its tough to beat the convolutions verbs like Waves IR-1 or AltiVerb. Waves Rverb and TrueVerb are also quite useful(but are a little funky to edit). My basic strategy, faster songs get shorter RT and little or no pre-delay(1.1s to 1.7s with maybe 10ms predelay). Slower songs call for longer RT and more predelay(RT of 2.5-3.5s with predelay anywhere from 40ms to 160ms depending on how obvious you want the effect).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave