Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 02:00 PM

Default Re: REALLY erase a FW drive

I suggest a refresher on drive formatting. Check Apples site. i know the anserws to some fo your questions, but hand feeding them to you will not solve your problems.

in a nutshell

Installing latest drivers is a seperate operation from Reformating the drive.

Using Extended format options decreases the smallest block size of files.

The rest, well you'll have to dig around for more info.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KamaSutra77:
I suggest a refresher on drive formatting. Check Apples site. i know the anserws to some fo your questions, but hand feeding them to you will not solve your problems.

in a nutshell

Installing latest drivers is a seperate operation from Reformating the drive.

Using Extended format options decreases the smallest block size of files.

The rest, well you'll have to dig around for more info.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And until you follow this path, enlightenment will never be yours, grasshopper......
Old 11-07-2002, 12:59 AM

Default REALLY erase a FW drive

I have about 14 FW drives now, and MOST have apple firewire 1.8.1 drivers. All have Oxford 911 boards. I have searched for posts regarding installation of proper apple FW driver: "Choose Erase Disk, erase it, and the Apple driver will be installed".
This has not been the case for me. I have 2 drives, one with a Maxtor driver and the other with "FWB>glyphprojectx" driver. I see these drivers listed in the "Get Info" or "Erase Disk" windows. I have used Erase Disk in OS9.1 and in OS 10.2, multiple times, and the old drivers are not replaced. I have also tried partitioning, and then un-partitioning to try and purge the drivers. In my experience, the only time apple "firewire 1.8.1" has been installed on a drive is if the drive is not recognized when connected and I am prompted to initialize it. This happens with fresh virginal drives, and those that have crashed bigtime.
Does anyone know of a utility where a drive can be rendered un-recognizable, and then fresh initialized with the apple drivers?
Something else I have noticed is that a drive removed from the internal IDE buss to 911 FW case will use twice as much space to store data. A 1GB session will occupy 1.8 GB on the drive,so only half of the capacity is usable.
Is this a low-level format situation? I have not seen a low level format choice in FW utilities so far.
I guess I am looking for a "Camelot" FW utility. I have used Maxtor, FWB, Radialogic, Apple, and Maxtor FW utilities, and they do not offer what I am looking for.
Has anyone else experienced these tribulations? Any help is appreciated. . .
Mike
Old 11-07-2002, 07:16 AM

Kama, go extend yourself, HFS+, and stick your hand where your head is.
All I ask is for you to point your baubled, manicured finger in a direction. Your ego assumes I have not already searched, and wish an answer to be hand-fed.

Even though you act like a snob, if you ever post regarding a Scully transport problem, how to repair a cutter head, or even how to get console bunnies out of cashmere, I will be right here to humbly help you.
Mike
Old 11-07-2002, 09:27 AM

Old school blows

When they said there are no dumb questions, they where wrong.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:03 PM

I think you need to go to manners school. If new school is an MP3 of you spanking your Monkey, I'll stay with my Les Paul 78's gladly!
There are no dumb questions, but there sure are rude answers.
MIke
Old 11-07-2002, 05:05 PM

Kamasutra77, If you just want to be a jerk, then don't post. You are not "New school". I am and I believe in helping others.
Techdude-A low level format will install new drivers. Often times, if you try to install new drivers from one vendor after you have originally formatted the drive with another vendor's product, you will run into the trouble you are having. I suggest low level formatting. after that you'll be fine
-Todd A.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:59 PM

Todd- How would you low level it..Can you use Drive Setup for that?
Old 11-07-2002, 06:15 PM

lowlevel format is an option in drive setup. as is write zeros for security. but be warned... it takes a long time.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2002, 06:35 PM

Gosh, im really sorry. please take pitty on a poor ole soul eh? I mean golly gee, if anybody on the duc where to think of me as being an agole, Id just cry! Honest, I didnt mean to be naughty sir. Could you just listen to me a bit , is it to much to ask. Doesnt anybody on the duc wanna listen to me?

BE GENTLE