Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 PM

Default 12.6.1 / Sierra CPU overload

I have a brand new install of Sierra and PT 12.6.1 on my Mac Pro.

Opening my mix template (with no audio files in it) that worked fine in PT11 causes Pro Tools to sit at %530 in my Activity Monitor?!!

What the crap Avid???

THERE'S NO AUDIO IN THE SESSION AND IT GIVES ME 9171 ERRORS ON PLAYBACK
Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Re: 12.6.1 / Sierra CPU overload

This is a possible symptom of a set of well know issues that have been around forever. Seriously faulty plugins and/or just your run of the mill crappy Avid plugins with a denormalization issues. Did you run down the standard troubleshooting to check for those? You should always be able to do basic troubleshooting first without asking here, it may not always fix problems but it will stop having to waste time going back and forwards like this.

And no audio into a plugin that suffers from denormaliation issues is a common cause of the behavior you are seeing. DUC is full of many many posts about exactly that.

Start up at the "Help us Help You" link up top of this web page and read the standard troubleshooting stuff. And in this case specifically do the following:

Does this happen with only one session? Or Multiple session. If only one it may be corrupt, throw it away or try importing into another session.

Trash preferences. Does that solve it?

Remove all third party plugins from the plugin folder and start Pro Tools. (just drag all plugin files anywhere else and let Pro Tools put back it's own standard ones hen it starts up). What happens now? if that fixed it then put the third party plugins back in batches and restart Pro Tools each time until the problem rehappens... keep playing around until you find the bad plugin(s). Yes this can happen with buggy plugins that you are not even using, they just need to be loaded into Pro Tools at startup.

If that does not solve it uninstantiate any instances of Sansamp and DVERB from all tracks (remove the plugin inserts from the tracks). What happens now?

If that does not solve it remove all plugins inserts from all tracks.