Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 AM

Default Change tuning A = 432hz or C = 528Hz

Hello, I have recently seen in many forums and websites that some people is changing the default tuning of their instruments. Instead of using a tuning of A = 440Hz as is standard, they are using tunings like A = 432Hz or A = 444Hz. I would like to try out if there is any real difference on how the music sounds and feels to the listener.

I do not know how to change the tuning in Pro Tools. May be it is a setting to define in Pro Tools options, or is it a setting to change on each individual virtual instrument? Normally I use Xpand and Vacuum synth. If anybody knows a virtual instrument that allows to change the tuning it is also good news to me. Thank in advance.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Change tuning A = 432hz or C = 528Hz

And I am here to announce that henceforth A = 44.1 kHz...

After all...that's basically what actually happened...

At some point, A=440 was adopted as a standard by orchestras and other stakeholders. Prior to that time, A=all over the map, as individual orchestras might use their own choice of tuning, and scores sometimes specified A=(some number).

One is free to use A= whatever they want, but if your songs ain't that great at A=440, they're still going to suck at A=whatever.

There are far better ways to exercise one's creativity...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 AM

I agree.

Pitch has been up and down over the centuries, 440 is a standard that makes sense.

There is a fad for using alternate pitches based on some metaphysical supposition, but I have yet to be convinced that anything I've heard has been factual and not wishful thinking.

Not to mention all the damned guitar players tuning down a half step!
Old 06-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB13KOS View Post
I agree.

Pitch has been up and down over the centuries, 440 is a standard that makes sense.

There is a fad for using alternate pitches based on some metaphysical supposition, but I have yet to be convinced that anything I've heard has been factual and not wishful thinking.

Not to mention all the damned guitar players tuning down a half step!
Just hold on one big minute there, bucko...

Keith Richards used "Open G" on "Honky Tonk Women"...ergo, oddball guitar tunings are beyond cool...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Well, alternate tunings of all sorts have been used since the invention of music. But as for the A=432, there are various schools of thought Just Google "432" for more!

I've never tried this, but I tend to agree with Bill that if the music is bad at A=440 it won't improve with a different tuning, or even a different key in normal tuning.

I think what drives this concept more than anything is the belief that somehow that frequency and the harmonics associated with it, as well as the frequencies for all the other notes using that standard and their harmonics, are somehow more in line with the resonate frequencies in the universe and therefore produces a better emotional response to music. Its a combination of a smattering of some isolated physics phacts with some Eastern mysticism concepts and such. Take it as you will. Still might be worth experimenting with it just for fun if nothing else.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Just hold on one big minute there, bucko...

Keith Richards used "Open G" on "Honky Tonk Women"...ergo, oddball guitar tunings are beyond cool...
No problem with Keef, I love his open G 5 string stuff.

I get tired of the SRV/Cobain clones that tune the guitar to the key of B, as in a half step low, Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb, and since Jimi did it too it MUST be cool.

At least tune a whole step low and be in the key of Bb!
Old 11-30-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, alternate tunings of all sorts have been used since the invention of music. But as for the A=432, there are various schools of thought Just Google "432" for more!

I've never tried this, but I tend to agree with Bill that if the music is bad at A=440 it won't improve with a different tuning, or even a different key in normal tuning.

I think what drives this concept more than anything is the belief that somehow that frequency and the harmonics associated with it, as well as the frequencies for all the other notes using that standard and their harmonics, are somehow more in line with the resonate frequencies in the universe and therefore produces a better emotional response to music. Its a combination of a smattering of some isolated physics phacts with some Eastern mysticism concepts and such. Take it as you will. Still might be worth experimenting with it just for fun if nothing else.
I know this is an old thread.
But there is extreme evidence for our 7 keys being tuned at 432 hertz vs 440 hertz.

When using a tone generator ...
One can create complex geometrical structures at 432 hertz.
But when the same test are performed at 440 hertz.
Those shapes are inconclusive or none existing,

Pythagoras understood this so he created the map"Circle of Fifths"
to be in perfect mathematical Harmony with individual notes.

So sound whether one believes it or not ? Can both create structures or destroy structures.

I use 432 Hertz because i can actually get natural harmonics all over the spectrum easier.
To me those are the building blocks to the next direction I head
When on my creative journey.

When mixing music one of the things we do first is try and eq or time align signals .
We try and correct pitch issues???

Why not start out with a perfectly more precise tuning .
That is mathematically in harmony already with each other.

Because at 440 Hertz you have to correct mathematically more.
Than one has too at 432 Hertz.

Pythagoras was no Dummy. Ha
Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 AM

I tuned an acoustic guitar of mine down to 432 and it really felt more open and resonant to me. No way for me to double blind test it but it definitely felt different. But yes absolutely it ain't gonna save a bad song. Also some friends of mine tried it and got all the crickets chirping outside.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Wow, this thread really got derailed. Thanks for bringing it back on topic, OP. PT is just like a tape machine so it has no tuning to it per se. Any audio will just be at whatever pitch it was played at. You must be asking about VIs and that will just depend on the VI. Some will have the ability to change the master reference pitch, some won't. If you have audio recorded at 440, you could use a pitch shift plugin or elastic audio to pitch it down to 432.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 06-07-2014, 07:01 PM

I have found out that Native Instruments Kontakt 5 virtual instrument allows to change the tuning very easily. I have changed the tuning of some of my songs. The result is not so impressive. With A=432Hz it feels a little bit more relaxing, chilling, not so active while with A = 444hz it sounds a little bit more exciting. However I thing its just because it is like playing the song more brighter or darker like playing one note up or down on an instrument. It is fun to try something different once in a while.

So the conclusion is, Pro Tools does not have built in auto-tuning settings for built in plugins, and the tuning has to be altered via virtual instruments.