Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 AM

Default Anti Virus Software - any recommendations/experiences?

I know that the official statement of digidesign/Avid was (and still is - correct me, if I'm wrong) that NO use of any anti-virus software whatsoever is supported.

I also know that there are a lot valid arguments that you don't need antivirus-software on a Mac (yet!).

But we will need to use Pro Tools on Macs in a company network and it's strict policy there that also Macs have antivirus software (TrendMicro in this case).

My question: has there been any info from Avid which antivirus software can be recommended? (even "unofficially"?)
Since we probably won't get around using virus protection and the IT department seems to be strict on this matter, I'll have to solve this one.

What experiences do PT users here have with this? Any recommendations/working solutions? What did NOT work?

Thanks for your help & best regards,
Chris
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Anti Virus Software - any recommendations/experiences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Rundfunk View Post
I know that the official statement of digidesign/Avid was (and still is - correct me, if I'm wrong) that NO use of any anti-virus software whatsoever is supported.

I also know that there are a lot valid arguments that you don't need antivirus-software on a Mac (yet!).

But we will need to use Pro Tools on Macs in a company network and it's strict policy there that also Macs have antivirus software (TrendMicro in this case).

My question: has there been any info from Avid which antivirus software can be recommended? (even "unofficially"?)
Since we probably won't get around using virus protection and the IT department seems to be strict on this matter, I'll have to solve this one.

What experiences do PT users here have with this? Any recommendations/working solutions? What did NOT work?

Thanks for your help & best regards,
Chris
You'll never get a recommendation on any antivirus software from Avid.

Your IT department is populated by people that have no concept of Mac protection. There has never been an in-the-wild virus for a Mac. Trojans, yes.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 AM

Yes, I don't see the vulnerability of Mac OS X as a problem at the moment. This might change though, as the Mac OS Platform is growing.

But one argument of the IT department is, that - since users are allowed to connect USB drives or other hardware for audio transfers - the Mac can theoretically be an entry point for Windows malware into the network.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
since users are allowed to connect USB drives or other hardware for audio transfers - the Mac can theoretically be an entry point for Windows malware into the network.
OSX won't execute WIN code, so no. Unless code executes on OSX it does not matter how many windows-virus-infected USB sticks you plug into your production OSX workstation.

It does not even matter how many windows-virus-infected emails you receive and re-send, if the code won't be able to execute on OSX it is totally harmless (to you).

Sure it's not nice to re-send virii to other people, but as far as PT workstation is concerned, my advise would be not to install any anti-virus programs.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
OSX won't execute WIN code, so no. Unless code executes on OSX it does not matter how many windows-virus-infected USB sticks you plug into your production OSX workstation.
OSX would not need to execute the code. You can transfer virus/malware files from the Mac to the server structure where Win machines can reach the data.

Like I said, it's the IT departments stance on the issue, not mine. And I'm afraid I won't be able to convince them otherwise.

Thank you for the answer - I'm still curious about other users' experiences on that matter.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
OSX would not need to execute the code. You can transfer virus/malware files from the Mac to the server structure where Win machines can reach the data.

Like I said, it's the IT departments stance on the issue, not mine. And I'm afraid I won't be able to convince them otherwise.

Thank you for the answer - I'm still curious about other users' experiences on that matter.
But that doesn't mean the Macs have to have antivirus. All it means is the Windows computers have to have antivirus software. The real thing IT must do is to not allow users or users's clients to bring their own drives to the system. No respectable IT department would ever allow that.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But that doesn't mean the Macs have to have antivirus. All it means is the Windows computers have to have antivirus software. The real thing IT must do is to not allow users or users's clients to bring their own drives to the system. No respectable IT department would ever allow that.
Win machines have av-software of course, as also have the servers.

Bringing in clients' drives to ingest audio is part of the workflow and even our IT has to respect that.

But I didn't want to discuss workflows or the validity of av-software here - just what works and what doesn't.

Chris
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Win machines have av-software of course, as also have the servers.

Bringing in clients' drives to ingest audio is part of the workflow and even our IT has to respect that.

But I didn't want to discuss workflows or the validity of av-software here - just what works and what doesn't.

Chris
The point that's trying to be made is that Macs running OSX can't execute Windows code so antivirus isn't necessary on a Mac. The only thing that can execute Windows code is a Windows machine. Or a Mac running Windows but seeing as your facility already has Windows machines that's a moot point.

And you just made the point that Windows machines which are the vulnerable machines already have antivirus software. Why install software on a machine that doesn't need it? It's a waste of time and resources.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Tell your IT department to chill and get over it (send them on vacation to Colorado if need be).
My last job was at a school with hundreds of computers (300ish) on the network with no anti-virus on ether of the Mac or Windows machines/images (the Macs were dual boot)
If they have to have it I would suggest free standing scanning computer that all incoming drives have to go through then watch the projects times double

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-10-2014, 11:29 AM

The danger with attacks on the Mac OS is from web sites. They are all browser based, and mostly java and javascript based. Something like 80% of all attacks last year were done this way, no virus needed, so they are completely OS agnostic.

If your Mac has an internet connection, keep your browser up to date, and keep javascript disabled (so it has to ask to be used on any site that needs it, on a per-use basis), and keep java removed from the system completely.

You'll be all set if you follow those guidelines and are careful what you click on.

www.jntracks.com