Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Why is M-Powered crossgrade $100 more than LE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
YES! Because you getting more tracks / ADC and ton of other stuff for $350.00 !!! It already practically free - I paid $400.00 for a bottle at a club in Vegas!
Yes it is truely a great deal IMO. I'll pay $350 for it happily. I think the complaint is that M-Powered software has always been even more crippled than LE and now they want to charge us more money for it than LE. Which I'm fine with, whatever. I will dish it out. Its worth it!!! I'm just saying. Never had the options LE had with toolkits and such or else I would have bought them. I'm not afraid to pay up I actually make good money off my M-Rig. I just happen to agree that the $100 extra is ignorant.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjwah View Post
M-Audio users are pretty well used to being treated as 2nd-class Pro Tools users, but up until now it hasn't cost us extra money!
M-Powered users paid more for their software to start off on account of having bought it standalone. It doesn't just come with the hardware when we buy it.
Other than that, it's the exact same software!
So perhaps someone from Avid can justify the fact that it costs $100 more for a MP user to crossgrade to PT9 than it does for an LE user?
We pay $100 extra for no extra features. It stinks, it's completely unjustified and Avid should change tack immediately. Change the price down to $249 and refund anyone who's already paid.

Because PTM costs less than an LE system did.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
YES! Because you getting more tracks / ADC and ton of other stuff for $350.00 !!! It already practically free - I paid $400.00 for a bottle at a club in Vegas!
The fact that you paid $400 for a bottle in Vegas and think that means I should listen to you on advice about value for money says more than I have to, but I will still explain why you're wrong and perhaps a little slow.

Read the post: Yes, we're getting more tracks, so are LE users. Yes we get ADC (finally, it's hardly a feature, more a catchup to the industry standard), but so are LE users. The difference is that they pay $100 less for it. For no reason.

This is despite the fact that M-Powered users have already paid MORE than LE customers to get the software in the first place.

Try harder and don't defend the indefensible.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM

I just spent $550 on a new Mbox less than a month ago, so I think the $250 is a little unfair all together, but I will still pay it because I need:

more tracks
more busses
and ADC

and I don't really like to use anything but PT to mix with. Old habits die hard. I *could* use something else, but I really don't want to.

I do use Reaper for composing, but its mixer sucks IMO.

and yes, I do agree that MP users are getting the $100 shaft.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymassacre View Post
Because PTM costs less than an LE system did.
That's just ignorant of the facts.

Here's a link to an MBox Micro for $250: http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/digid...ro-p-7132.html

Here's a link to M-Powered PT8 for $250 on the same site:
http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/maudi...ed-p-5233.html

Having done that, you'd still have to buy an M-Audio hardware interface.

It's not justifiable, that's all there is to it.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjwah View Post
That's just ignorant of the facts.

Here's a link to an MBox Micro for $250: http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/digid...ro-p-7132.html

Here's a link to M-Powered PT8 for $250 on the same site:
http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/maudi...ed-p-5233.html

Having done that, you'd still have to buy an M-Audio hardware interface.

It's not justifiable, that's all there is to it.

Other than the fact that anyone who bought a Micro is surely more pissed than you? I mean who the hell purchased a Micro that didn't already own another PT rig? What would the point of that be?

I think people who bought a micro should get a refund, and I don't even own one!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I paid $400.00 for a bottle at a club in Vegas!
..I payed 89p for a can of strongbow tonight, who currently has the best understanding of value for money in this discussion?

You're not getting extra tracks or ADC for no extra cost anyway, because you have to pay for the interface seperately, it's only Pro Tools (well, up to now anyway) where this is considered a privelege; with every other DAW you buy your interface for it's features, and the DAW uses them. (Yeah I probably could use another DAW but since PT is considered the 'Industry Standard' I basically have to use it in order to get my degree.)

In reality, if I bought a full price profire 2626 and MP it would cost around £650 (that's about $1,050), plus the price of a decent 8 channel preamp in order to take advantage of those extra 8 channels (didn't MP only support 18 simultaneous inputs anyway? thus negating 1/3 of the 2626's I/O capability?).
The very cheapest, crappest lightpipe preamp extension (Behringer ADA 8000 and yes I own one :) ) is another £180 and if you want to add something nice like an octo-pre to that you're talking another £400, so in dollars, what? $1700 or so for a good 16 input M-powered system? Since Avid own M-Audio it's not even like it's really 3rd party hardware, that money still lines their pockets directly.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=God_made_me_do_it;1693320Since Avid own M-Audio it's not even like it's really 3rd party hardware, that money still lines their pockets directly.[/QUOTE]

+1
Old 11-06-2010, 12:44 AM

I feel the same i was ready to pull the trigger,then 350 ahhh??
Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymassacre View Post
Other than the fact that anyone who bought a Micro is surely more pissed than you? I mean who the hell purchased a Micro that didn't already own another PT rig? What would the point of that be?

I think people who bought a micro should get a refund, and I don't even own one!
why would they be pissed? if you bought a micro for $250, you can upgrade to PT9 for another $250 and end up getting PT9 for $500 total, which is $100 less than the retail price

in fact you could do that today and save $100.. it's kinda strange actually that the LE upgrade isn't $350

regardless of what the price is, it makes no sense that LE and MP cost different amounts to cross grade

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic