Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Guitar Rig 5 (or any plugin really) and PT Metering

Hello All,
I find myself coming here again for some much needed help. I'm in the process of working on my first song in years. I am using Pro Tools 10.3.x and Guitar RIg 5. I have put GR5 on a track as an insert. I have recently read a lot about gain staging and I'm trying to take it seriously. However, I can't quite find something out with GR5 and Pro Tools. I will have the volume on the track in Pro Tools set at 0. I adjust my Focusrite Saffire 56 to the level I want. What I don't understand is that I can adjust the master volume and gain everywhere in GR5 (there are several places in Guitar Rig to adjust volumes in my setup) and it does effect the meter in Pro Tools while I'm playing. I have the track record enabled so I can hear what I'm playing and I can turn all the volumes down in GR5 and the meter is still the same. I can go the other direction and make the volume in GR5 extremely loud and the meter still doesn't change. Now, after I have recorded my part, then the volume knobs in GR5 will effect the metering in Pro Tools. Why is it only after I record in PT? Shouldn't the meters show my levels before and during the record?

I thought it was just GR5. However, I did a test tonight with Eleven (free) that comes with Pro Tools. I brought up a rocking distortion sound in Eleven, record enabled the track, and then turned the volume all the way down.... but the metering was still the same.

To combat this issue I put GR5 on one track and made the out a bus. On another track I made the input that bus I selected as an out. So in this scenario, the volume controls in GR 5 properly effect the metering in the arriving bus track.

Anyway, is it doing what it is supposed to do? Seems like to me the volume/gain knobs in GR 5 (or any plugin or amp simulator) should effect the metering in Pro Tools.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 5 (or any plugin really) and PT Metering

The effects in pro tools are post recording. Meaning that even if you have plugins instantiated, they will not be recorded onto the track. For that you have to either send the track to a new track (using the buss out of the track into the inputs of an other track) which is called stemming or bounce to track. At that point the effects of GR5 will actually be printed in the audio.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 5 (or any plugin really) and PT Metering

Thanks for the reply. Yea, that is basically what I describe in my original post. That was the only way I could find that would show me the gain staging levels I was getting with the amp simulator.

I did find out exactly what you said... "The effects in pro tools are post recording." I recorded about 20 seconds of audio and then during playback I discovered the gain/volume knobs in the plugin (GR5) DID indeed effect the metering. They just don't do it during record mode. To me that is a huge bummer because it is hard to gain stage that way. So, I think I will just always have to send them on a bus so the track that the bus arrives at will show the levels affected by what I do in the plugin.

Thanks,
Doug D.

Last edited by dougdude9; 07-03-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Posted name