Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-24-2001, 07:46 AM

Default USD losing sync among other things :P

Hey everyone!

This has been happening on and off on multiple workstations in my studio... It seems that this happens in both large track count sessions AND small sessions...

I would be working with 3/4" or DA88 using Machine Control. I use LTC for sync source. While I have PT locked to any of these decks, Pro Tools stops all of the sudden without any error messages.

One solution that I've found out was to de-check and re-check the USD Remote enable feature in Peripheral window. This seems to help PT "see" the TC for the first few times. Eventually I have to resort to power cycling the whole system though.

Sys. setup
- USD w/ firmware 5.0.1
- Mac B&W G3 w/ 1 gig ram
- (3) 888/24s
- (8) 18 gig rorke cheetahs (all of them with NO partitions)
- (1) mix core, (4) mix farms in Magma chasis
- (2) atto dual channel scsi cards
- Pro Control w/ (2) xpanders
- all equipment resolving to house sync
- USD connected to g-port serial I/F
- Machine control 9pin cable connected to digi serial port

I know it's not the bad TC in 3/4" address track, cuz it happens at random spots. Also, I've tried re-loading USD firmware 501 but it doesn't help.

Also, Has anyone noticed that when you use "use TC from 9-pin" option, sometimes PT locks like 10 frames ahead of the source??? I know this sounds weird but it has been consistantly happening when I lock PT to 3/4" or DA88 using Machine Control.

has anyone tried to use both USD and Machine Control cables hooked up to multiple Digi serial ports? would this work better??

Thanks for your thoughts.. you guys rock!!

babyseal
Old 02-24-2001, 12:16 PM

Default Re: USD losing sync among other things :P

<< I use LTC for sync source. >>

There's your problem, LTC should not be used as a sync source. Use B&B video sync or preferably word clock, particularly with your DA88.

My advice would be to get a Rosendahl Nanosyncs and slave your 888s, USD and anything else you have to it. You'll notice an improvement of audio quality with your 888s and you'll almost never drop out of sync.

Greg
Old 02-24-2001, 04:40 PM

I've always noticed that the USD seems much more susceptible to TC imperfections than DA-88's, Akai's, whatever. I don't know if it's a cabling issue, a ground loop, or whatever. I do know that when I do laybacks, I'll always put PT in "jam sync" - or it WILL drop out at some point - even though the DA-88 will NOT drop out, even though it's getting the same timecode from the Digibeta or 3/4" or whatever.

If no one else has noticed this, then perhaps it *is* a wiring issue. I just wanted to put this out there and see.

DC
Old 02-25-2001, 01:45 AM

Digi Serial port for USD.
G-port for machine control.